[yshavurah] Re: Fwd: Fw: Lest We Forget ...

  • From: Lawrence Turyn <lturyn2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rebiljoj@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2002 18:11:37 -0500

 It's a wonderful story that I am happy to be reminded of.

One small quibble:  On the dollar bill I looked at, the stars have 5 points,
not six.

Larry Turyn

Johanna wrote:
Nance,

Thanks so much for sharing this story with us! I knew of a letter
Washington wrote to some early Jewish community, in Philadelphia, perhaps?
I'm not sure (have to look that up), but I do remember that the letter was a
thanks for the support of the Jewish community for their support in
establishing American independence. I did not, though, know the story of
Hyam Salomon. It's a wonderful one!

Johanna
A while ago, at the West Point Academy's Jewish
Chapel, there was a
display about Hyam Salomon and the Revolutionary War.
He died
penniless, having used all his resources to aid the
newly formed and
poorly supplied American Continental Army.

You see, General Washington's financial advisor and
assistant was a
Jewish man by the name of Hyam Salomon. During the
cold winter months
at Valley Forge when American soldiers were freezing
and running out
of food, it was Hyam who marshaled all the Jews in
America and Europe
to provide money in relief aid to these stranded
American troops and
turned the course of history. Without this help,
Washington's
Continental Army, and the American Colonies would have
perished before
they could have defeated the British.

If you take a one dollar bill out of your pocket and
look at the back
at the Eagle, the stars above the Eagle's head are in
the six point
Star of David to honor Jews. If you turn the Eagle
upside down you
will see a configuration in the likeness of a
Menorah....both at the
insistence of George Washington who said we should
never forget the
Jewish people and what they have done in the interest
of America.

Lest we forget....this one Jewish man literally saved
the fledgling
'refugee' colonies that would become the United States
of America.
That should be reason enough for thoughtful and
grateful Americans to
stand with Israel today.

--WebTV-Mail-19131-1165--