Re: [yoshimi-user] Yoshimi in use :-)

  • From: Will J Godfrey <WillGodfrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 19:10:41 +0000

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 07:23:17 -0600
"Jonathan E. Brickman" <jeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Anyway, yoshi is giving me a solid amount of pleasure, it's really stable
and
getting better and better.

I still find it ridiculous just how much fun you can have with it!

Exactly. Cal, Will, others, whether you realize it or not, you are
doing the work of a Fulfiller of Dreams :-) The first time I played
Overdrive on Yoshimi with a PA I laughed my head off for 10 minutes
straight :-) I can sometimes outplay two electric guitars with that one
:-) :-)

I'm absolutely delighted by this :D
I originally developed it for one track (Lair Of The Dragon King), but
it does seem to be a bit addictive!

Which brings me to a question, perhaps mostly for Will. I am looking
for a sound equivalent to Strings Section on a Roland D-70, much like
Strings on Kurzweil Mark 5/10, and many others. The tone has just a
tiny hint of bowstrike (Kurzweil has a hair too much), it has an awesome
bass setup (but keeping the attack) to build a black velvet pillow upon
which other musicality rests, and the mids and highs are clear in a wide
range.

I noticed "Full Strings" and "Slow Strings", and have been tempted to
pull out my rather cobwebby MiniMoog skills to see if I could take
either one to the above description; but I thought I would ask first, to
see if anyone has suggestions as to other patches I should start with,
or other patches which are more like, or if my problem is actually sound
system more than patch. The latter is not impossible, the PA at the
venue I'm working with is not well kept; on the other hand I have also
been working with headphones.

J.E.B.

Hmm. This is a tough one. I don't know if these, or Paul's string
sounds (from which mine are derived) would be best as a starting point.

In any case I'd be inclined to set it up as a voice 'kit' with the
bow strike sound as a second voice. Not sure how you'd get that sound
though, maybe a saw waveform with a relatively fast attack and decay,
and a filter (possibly a formant one).

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk