[yoshimi-user] Yoshimi in use :-)

  • From: "Jonathan E. Brickman" <jeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: yoshimi-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 07:23:17 -0600

Anyway, yoshi is giving me a solid amount of pleasure, it's really stable and
getting better and better.
I still find it ridiculous just how much fun you can have with it!
Exactly. Cal, Will, others, whether you realize it or not, you are doing the work of a Fulfiller of Dreams :-) The first time I played Overdrive on Yoshimi with a PA I laughed my head off for 10 minutes straight :-) I can sometimes outplay two electric guitars with that one :-) :-)

Which brings me to a question, perhaps mostly for Will. I am looking for a sound equivalent to Strings Section on a Roland D-70, much like Strings on Kurzweil Mark 5/10, and many others. The tone has just a tiny hint of bowstrike (Kurzweil has a hair too much), it has an awesome bass setup (but keeping the attack) to build a black velvet pillow upon which other musicality rests, and the mids and highs are clear in a wide range.

I noticed "Full Strings" and "Slow Strings", and have been tempted to pull out my rather cobwebby MiniMoog skills to see if I could take either one to the above description; but I thought I would ask first, to see if anyone has suggestions as to other patches I should start with, or other patches which are more like, or if my problem is actually sound system more than patch. The latter is not impossible, the PA at the venue I'm working with is not well kept; on the other hand I have also been working with headphones.

J.E.B.