[ycnews] CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS: Q-zine's In the Heart of the Afro-Caribbean LGBTQI Communities

  • From: Youth Coalition <news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ycnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Dec 2013 15:18:13 -0500

*In the Heart of the Afro-Caribbean LGBTQI Communities*

*Call for Contributions by Cases Rebelles and Q-Zine*
Focused primarily on the African continent and experiences until now,
Q-Zine, the first pan-African, bilingual art and culture LGBTI magazine, in
collaboration with Cases Rebelles, is expanding its pan-African horizons!
In the next issue of the magazine we are turning our inquiries to the rich
and complex issues of the LGBTQI Afro-Caribbean community (taken in its
widest definition!). From the Bahamas to Guyana, and from Haiti to
Guadeloupe to Cuba, we want to hear from you in Creole, English, French,
Spanish and all the other voices of the region. We are seeking to portray
the many aspects of Caribbean LGBTQIs in this edition whether living in the
region or in the Diaspora.

Colonial history, tourism and the global misappropriation of culture often
reduce the Caribbean to an exotic, clichéd image. The same goes for
understanding queer issues. In this co-edition by Cases Rebelles/Q-Zine, we
are looking to widen our perspectives of LGBTQI identities and expressions
in the Caribbean- how is it defined, called and expressed? What are the
unique traditions, inventions and inspirations of queer Caribbean
communities? Are there privileged spaces, moments and cultural contexts
used by LGBTQI communities?  What are uniquely Caribbean characteristics of
the LGBTQI identities and what influence has the global LGBTQI movement had
on the ability to exist, express, define, fight and love in the Caribbean?
What is the influence of migration? Of tourism and the perception it
imposes on theregion? We invite you to share by writing, your opinions,
essays, critiques, literature, short-stories, photo-essay, paintings,
poems, music, dance, fashion, art, news or other contributions on the theme
“Afro-Caribbean LGBTQI cultures” in this edition of Cases Rebelles/Q-Zine
that aims to paint the queer Caribbean panorama as diverse as the
Caribbeanregion itself- both locally and throughout its Diaspora. We also
welcome your audiovisual contributions.  Cases Rebelles (
www.cases-rebelles.org/) is a collective of Black, African and Caribbean
women and men. Since 2010, Cases Rebelles seeks to challenge and shake-up
thinking and perspectives about and from Afro-Caribbean through it monthly
web-radio programming and publication of the same name. Since 2011, Q-zine,
the only Pan-African LGBTI art and culture digital magazine aims to create
and to be a forum for any type of expression, any topic or idea, and all
shades of opinion relevant to LGBTI lives. Cases Rebelles and QAYN invite
to send your contributions to the co-editors at contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and
contact@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.

* Deadline : 10 February 2014*

--

You have received this message because you are subscribed to
YCNews<http://youthcoalition.org/html/subscribe.php?cnt=2>

Like us on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/youthcoalition> | Follow us on
Twitter <http://www.twitter.com/youth_coalition> | Visit our
Website<http://www.youthcoalition.org/>