Fw: [quickphilosophy] Re: 1.12; 1.13; 1.2 & 1.21

  • From: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wittrsl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:21:55 -0700 (PDT)

[sending manually because feed isn't working]

Hi, Ron.

The northwest was beautiful, thanks.  I was very taken by the Olympic
Peninsula.
I also enjoyed Portland (and Powell's Books!).  Forks, WA is all about
"Twilight" these days....

W tries to answer your (excellent) questions about why "X is red" conflicts
with

"X is green" in his 1929 paper, "Remarks on Logical Form."  He later disowned
that paper, but it was one of the first things he wrote after returning to
philosophy, and it seems to point up very difficult problems for atomism.

I think that, on his view, an "X is P" statement cannot be atomic just in case
either "X" or "P" is not a simple name.  So, e.g., "Walto is Lisa's Uncle." is
complex on his view even though it isn't a negation, a conjunction, etc.  On
his

view, it's analyzable, which means it isn't elementary.  He believed that all
necessary truths were analytic, so that if "X is entirely red" contradicts "X
is

entirely green" both statements must be complex.  (Interestingly, Fogelin has a
paper--which I don't really understand--in which he argues that W should have
held that negative propositions are actually simple!)

Your Locke comparison seems to me interesting, because, while Locke was clearly
an empiricist and the positivists who were so taken with the Tractatus were
empiricists, W doesn't seem to have an empiricist perspective in the TLP.

A number of commentators have pressed differences between Russell's empiricism
and W's Tractarian, views based on the fact that W says nearly nothing about
epistemology in TLP and Russell's philosophy in the teens was all about
acquaintance.  Landini (in "W's Apprenticeship with Russell") argues against
that position, claiming that Russell was as much a logical atomist (and
non-empiricist) as W., but, paradoxically IMO, Landini provides a number of
Russell quotes to the effect that it is absurd (even Hegelian!) to try to
derive

philosophical truths from the nature human thought, and, in a way, that's what
TLP is all about.

As we go on, we'll see that W starts out with the simple fact that we can
understand something--and in his view what we understand may be (i)
determinate,

and (ii) not dependent on the truth of any other proposition.  That we can
understand, e.g., "A cat is on this mat" without needing to know a single truth
about the world seems to me the most important premise he leans on throughout
the Tractatus.

But hmmm.... Was that an empirical claim of his or more akin to something we
might find in the Monadology?

Walto