Re: [Wittrs] As Analytic Turns

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 13:03:59 -0800

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 12:44 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<< snip >>

> The image has subtleties because compost / manure / waste is also
> fecund, fungal, fertile and we've attracted some interesting hybrids,
> such as posters who want to truck with the bulk of our philosophy, but
> will fly alongside for a spell, before peeling off.  Interweaving.

Sorry, "want no truck with"... which reminds me of how deeply into
"truckology" I've been going, thanks to an entrepreneur named Jim who
learned Visual FoxPro way better than I ever did.  He's still going
strong at 65 or whatever, able to code on the fly in airport lounges
still, though maybe more distractedly.  He serves the trucking
industry with routing and mapping stuff in a way few others can.
However Microsoft pulled the plug on VFP as they want to herd a next
generation onto .NET, which is not really where we want to go today in
a lot of cases.

Anyway, mixed with other interests that has me brainstorming about
these global U programs where students get more truck driving
experience in route to some degree.  Gone are the days when jobs
needed to be stigmatized as "too low class" when, on the contrary,
they're a chief source of experience for any future engineer or
systems designer.  Gotta work on a railroad before laying out a new
one, at least for awhile, and in different capacities.  The truck
route I'm most focused on is the one through Istanbul, Tehran to the
Stans, with an off-shoot to Kabul.  Lots more in by blogs.  I was
making overtures towards Harvard but had to veer away from that when
Zubek raised a stink.  Now Harvard is at the bottom of my list (too
east coast anyway, tainted by association, with Washington DC, a
bellicose and ignorant city we Portlanders despise more and more as
the years fly by).

> And it's in part because insulting / offensive chatter is not
> forbidden (though it's fair to point out that ad hominem is considered
> a weak attack in debating circles, proves you're likely at the end of
> your own rope).

I will attack cities though (with polemics, not cowardly carpet
bombing), boost one over another.  I call that "capitalism" (i.e.
shoving capitals around, banking on one over others).  Doesn't take
much to be a capital of something, e.g. Wilmington Ohio is "hog
capital of the world" I think it was (so why am I getting "Dubtown"
today?  http://www.offices.net/city-slogans.htm#W ).

> Our communities overlap somewhat in that Wittgenstein's biggest fans
> are often branded "disciples" or "acolytes".  We get that too.  It
> helps to have rooms where people can point to our guy in a picture
> frame and utter epithets, maybe make scatological remarks.  We don't
> care.  Grossology was backed into my curriculum since Vilnius at
> least.

I've been reading up on Father Divine recently (and watching
Youtubes).  People tend to demonize the guy, as preying on innocents,
but what he created was an essentially classless non-racist society
built around large hotels in big cities, with some anchoring satellite
properties as well.  The focus was singing and banqueting and
providing community.  Not such a terrible performance by any means in
my book.  I first became aware of this cult quite awhile after FD in
his "tangibilated complected form" (kind of how they talk) was
entombed, while working kitty-corner in Jersey City @ Saint Dominic
Academy on Kennedy Blvd.

Quakers were demonized too for awhile, especially right before they
got really rich (some of them) owing to their truth-based accounting
and business practices.  Words like "security" and "trust" have to
mean something at the end of the day and they're always tenuously
anchored in the financial world, so when Quakers moved in, thanks to
nobility making some room, they got to run banks and Lloyds and stuff.
 Those were the days.  Before that, they were imprisoned by the
paranoid Anglicans who felt their monopoly on power was threatened (as
it was -- who likes monopolies? raise your hand).

Kirby