[Wittrs] Re: Who and What is a Cartesian?

  • From: "gabuddabout" <gabuddabout@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Apr 2010 17:52:49 -0000

Stuart writes:

"Dennett, in the context of explicitly critiquing Searle's CRA says that it
takes
a Cartesian dualist to conclude that more of the same would not make a
difference in the CR, i.e., the argument known as the CRA. Searle makes THAT
argument and defends it. Thus Dennett's point is directed at Searle and his
thinking on the matter which is what I initially said Dennett's argument
addressed and what the text I found and transcribed here demonstrates. Your
ongoing claims aimed at undermining this point are just an exercise in
sophistry."

The point is that no matter how many _functional properties_ in the form of
abstract computations one adds, all you get is more functional properties.  At
best, you get closer to simulating this or that with higher degrees of
resolution.  Searle's point still stands and Peter at Analytic exposed you
waffling between the notions of more hardware or more software.

By "more of the same," Searle is talking about functional properties (read: 2nd
order properties).

Now, if you can understand that, then you would see Dennett's charge of
crypto-dualism not following.

OTOH, if you insist on conflating functional prperties with 1st order
properties, then, given the EQUIVOCATION, you can, via egregious _ignoratio
elenchi_, conclude to crypto-dualism.

Remember, Searle is emphatically not a property dualist.  If anything, a
property pluralist, as opposed to eliminativists who are property dualists vis
a vis mind-body since they can't deny they are awake while claiming to hazard
guesses about mind, which isn't there for the zombies..

That was so much fun.  Let's do it again and again!

Ps.  I was looking for the argument (I thought) I posted--the one you asked for
and (I thought) I gave.  I'll look harder so I can see if you took your crack
at it.  :-)

Cheers,
Budd