[Wittrs] Re: Understanding "Understanding" in Searle

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:25:48 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jrstern" <jrstern@...> wrote:
<snip>

> > We are not very far apart here, I think, though I do sense that you are
> > more radical about this than I am.
>
> moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue :)
>
> Josh

Hmmm, wasn't that "liberty"? My own alternative goes like this:

"Verbosity in the pursuit of specificity is no vice.
Specificity in the pursuit of verbosity is no virtue"

I guess the phrasing works rather like a logical formula, just plug in one's
desired terms.

(I have occasionally been forced to invoke this when accused of going on way
too much to make my points! And, indeed, I have found it rather hard to ensure
clarity through specificity without, occasionally, resorting to verbosity. Even
now!)