[Wittrs] Re: Understanding "Understanding" in Searle

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:02:15 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> > My point is even a rock "behaves".
>
> Yes, but the meaning of "behaves" changes with reference to rocks.

Quite right.

But this point needs a *lot* of elaboration, in the absence of which any
discussion is likely to be incoherent.

Certainly, computers are more active than rocks, in a way that I suggest is
substantial and important.

Whether humans are more active than computers, in any way that is substantial
and important, is a separate question.  On the surface evidence, of course,
this seems true.  The question is about what one finds on further analysis.

> We are not very far apart here, I think, though I do sense that you are more
> radical about this than I am.

moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue :)

Josh