[Wittrs] Re: The Meaning of Knowing Meanings

  • From: Gordon Swobe <gts_2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:11:46 -0700 (PDT)

As I wrote yesterday, if you reject the 3rd axiom then you need to show us how
any agent can come to know the meaning of symbols from knowing only the forms
of those symbols, or from knowing only form-based rules for manipulating those
symbols. I.e., you need to show us how syntax *is* sufficient for semantics.

Despite lots verbiage from you over two days, you have not offered anything
remotely resembling an answer. (Not surprising, as no answer exists.)

You should admit your error and affirm the 3rd axiom.

-gts