[Wittrs] Re: The Epiphenomenalism of Dennett-Consistent Philosophies of Consciousness

  • From: Justintruth <truth.justin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 15:36:33 -0800 (PST)

My understanding is that the periodicity is solely a function of the
standard model of physics and that the periodicity is predicted by the
quantum theory of orbitals (especially the valence shells). We may not
be able to calculate all of the atoms' orbitals but I believe that the
standard model results in a prediction of the formation of the
elements and the periodicity of the elements and the bonding between
elements etc. It is electronic attraction and repulsion. Perhaps you
are referring to the exclusion principle? Or is it the problems with
computing large atom orbitals or molecular orbitals? Classical
mechanics could not even solve the three body problem in closed form
so it is not surprising to me that we can't do the calculations but I
think we believe that the principles of physics are operating and the
predicted result, that nuclei will form and electrons will form clouds
around nuclei and then that the atoms will interact are all a result
of physical principles. Being aware is not. Its just not predicted by
the science.

In fact the cosmic abundance of hydrogen and helium has been predicted
by cosmology and the rest of the elements creation are modeled fairly
well by nucleo-synthesis in the stars. They not only know the periodic
table as a result of physics but can predict how the atoms were formed
to a large degree.

I believe that most chemists would say that the periodic table is a
result of the standard model of quantum mechanics and for good reason.
The mechanism is clear. The chemical reactions are just the bonding -
motion - of the atoms as they collide and attach. Chemistry is a
description of the motion of atoms.