[Wittrs] Re: Is this a special case?

  • From: "SWM" <SWMirsky@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 23:53:24 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "jrstern" <jrstern@...> wrote:

snip>

> What if someone comes along and asks, "Hey, why does a brain tend
> to fall towards the center of the planet"?  They might then suggest
> it's because of the mysterious wave-function collapse that must be
> a magical and mystical function of the brain and/or mind.
>
> If your response is, "Well, it's a legitimate, scientific question,
> isn't it?" the answer is, sure, of course it is, but is it after all
> a question about brains or minds?
>
> Josh

Depends what we mean by "minds", no? If, as I would say, a mind is the state of
being a subject, then the issue of gravity would seem, at least on the face of
it, to be irrelevant. But if someone chose to say something along the lines of
what I might imagine you saying, 'the mind is just a certain kind of brain
operating in a certain way' (which on one level I wouldn't disagree with,
though I would treat that as more of a causal explanation than an out and out
definition), then wondering about why minds qua brains react like rocks vis a
vis the pull of gravity would be a scientific question, if not an especially
interesting one! -- SWM