[Wittrs] Re: [C] Re: Proper Names --Wittgenstein, Russell, Kripke

  • From: Glen Sizemore <gmsizemore2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Feb 2010 15:02:12 -0800 (PST)

--- On Thu, 2/4/10, J D <ubersicht@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: J D <ubersicht@xxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [C] [Wittrs] Re: Proper Names --Wittgenstein, Russell, Kripke
> To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thursday, February 4, 2010, 12:57 AM

> Why in Heaven's name are you calling these "brain
> behaviors"?  Brains don't do these things.  People
> (who presumably have brains) do these things.  And what
> is bringing something that sounds vaguely neurological meant
> to contribute?

I have been down this road with Sean, and I have some advice for you - quit
while you're ahead. What is most fascinating about ol' Sean is that he thinks
that this talk of "brain behaviors" or "brain scripts" is perfectly consistent
with later Wittgenstein. For him, for example, meanings are things in the brain
that are conveyed by utterances - pretty Wittgensteinian, eh?