[Wittrs] Is this a special case?

  • From: "jrstern" <jrstern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 22:34:13 -0000

--- In Wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "SWM" <SWMirsky@...> wrote:

> You know, Josh, I was just thinking about my earlier answer to you on the
> above and it struck me that it is, in fact, a perfectly legitimate question
> to ask in science, i.e., how do we get cats and hot things in the world? Why
> wouldn't it be? The answers, respectively, might be to describe things like
> biological theories and evolution on the one hand, the physics of temperature
> variation on the other. Why shouldn't we ask, just as justifiably, how we get
> conscious things in a world which seems made up of unconscious things and
> endeavor to answer it via scientific research into how that particular
> phenomenon of the world works? -- SWM

What if someone comes along and asks, "Hey, why does a brain tend
to fall towards the center of the planet"?  They might then suggest
it's because of the mysterious wave-function collapse that must be
a magical and mystical function of the brain and/or mind.

If your response is, "Well, it's a legitimate, scientific question,
isn't it?" the answer is, sure, of course it is, but is it after all
a question about brains or minds?

Josh