[Wittrs] Re: Dancing Dualisms: Searlean Moves and Cartesian Moves--P's @ K's

  • From: "gabuddabout" <gabuddabout@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2010 20:18:58 -0000

--- In WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Gordon Swobe <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> John Locke had an interesting take on the question of properties.
>
> According to Locke, objects have primary and secondary qualities. Primary
> qualities inhere completely in the object and include such properties as
> mass, shape, number, and so on. Secondary qualities exist only relative to an
> observer and include such properties as taste, smell and color.
>
> I don't know if Locke considered himself a property dualist.
>
> -gts

Maybe he was trying to consider matters objectively by not attributing to
things what was only contributed by his sensory apparatus--tough call but:

Maybe try:

http://books.google.com/books?id=NA6e6LhEnAMC&lpg=PP1&ots=P7LaRkckia&dq=beyond%20conceptual%20dualism&pg=PP1#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Hope that works.  Or google:

Book title:  _Beyond Conceptual Dualism_ by Guiseppe Vicari