[Wittrs] A New Bizarre Claim

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2010 19:32:42 -0400

SWM wrote:

>>Some good places to start:

>>http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_conceptual_truth

>>A conceptual truth is one that is true by definition. That a bachelor
>>is an unmarried male is a conceptual truth.

>>http://www.philosophy.ox.ac.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/1303/Conceptual.pdf

>>"How do we know that vixens are female foxes? Such questions tend to
>>receive short shrift. We are told that it is a conceptual truth that
>>vixens are female foxes, or that it is conceptually impossible for
>>something to be a vixen without being a female fox, or that being a
>>vixen has conceptual connections to being female and being a fox. In
>>unfashionable terminology, `Vixens are female foxes' is said to be
>>analytic.

both these sources are using 'conceptual truth' to mean 'analytical
truth' --- 'true by definition'.

are you claiming that Searle is claiming that 'syntax does not
constitute semantics' is analytically true?

here is a better place to start your research into what is meant by
conceptual analysis: http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/concepts/