[Wittrs] A New Bizarre Claim

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 03:15:48 -0400

College Dropout John O'Connor wrote:

>This might help:

>3.323

>In the language of everyday life it very often happens that the same
>word signifies in two different ways -- and therefore belongs to two
>different symbols -- or that two words, which signify in different
>ways, are apparently applied in the same way in the proposition.

>Thus the word "is" appears as the copula, as the sign of equality, and
>as the expression of existence; "to exist" as an intransitive verb like
>"to go"; "identical" as an adjective; we speak of something but also of
>the fact of something happening.

>(In the proposition "Green is green" -- where the first word is a
>proper name as the last an adjective -- these words have not merely
>different meanings but they are different symbols.)

it's often acknowledged here (and elsewhere) that words have a range of
meanings; but, it is less often acknowledged that it matters *which*
meaning is attached to a given word at a given time. I suspect that this
is part of what LW meant by 3.324:

"In this way the most fundamental confusions are easily produced (the
whole of philosophy is full of them)."

Joe