Re: [Wittrs] Would Wittgenstein Have Liked Ray Monk?

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 23:57:37 -0800

On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 7:01 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

<< snip >>

> Given our premise that Wittgenstein is a hero, is effective, and
> is playing to win, his service to Russian intelligence has to be
> portrayed as anti tyrannical and anti fascist.

I'm introducing the theme of Wittgenstein's feelings of alienation
regarding UK culture over on MathFuture, where we've been discussing
an invitation to investigate "ethnography and mathematics" at the
British Museum itself.

http://groups.google.com/group/mathfuture/msg/dbdae847acf25e66?hl=en

> In terms of his encouraging young men to stand up against
> these evils, we have no PR problem there.  Hemingway was
> doing the same thing.  The Spanish Civil War was a front and
> the "good guys" (lots of women) were standing up against
> Hitler and Musso.
>
> Wittgenstein was one of them in spirit.

<< snip >>

> The last puzzle piece (or one of the last) is Beltaine and
> Frazer's Golden Bough.... (Whitney has more flash
> backs and visions).

Re Beltaine etc.

Cornish and Wittgenstein have this in common:  they resent the
trivialization of "magic" in terms of facile scientistic explanations.

Kirby