[C] [Wittrs] Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

  • From: "J" <ubersicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Jan 2010 17:23:03 -0000

Sean,

Two questions arise for me:

1.  If translating from German into English the writings of someone who spoke
German primarily, to what extent should their English speaking be a guide in
your translation.

Obviously, there are good reasons for the person to have written in German.
One reason very well could be a greater confidence and fluency in their native
tongue.  Shouldn't the translation reflect the fluency of the  German text?

On this view, one would wish to preserve the eccentricities where the German is
eccentric but not to impose eccentricities (reflecting their English speaking)
where the German text is not eccentric.

Somewhat apropos of this and amusing in its own right is an exchange between
Anscombe and Hanfling (whose first language was German but who spoke English so
fluently that most people assumed him to be a native speaker).  Apparently,
Hanfling found it peculiar that Wittgenstein continued to write in German
throughout his life.  Anscombe replied (unaware of the irony) that only someone
who was unable to read the original German could ask such a thing!

2. To what extent would "queer" even be eccentric at the time?  I suspect it
would be somewhat odd, but not nearly as odd as today.  And this cuts two ways:

a. To the extent that it was odd even at the time, there is a case to be made
for preserving it in order to reflect Wittgenstein's style.  But again, are we
interested in reflecting his German style or reflecting his English style even
though we're working with his German?  We're talking about preserving a
precedent of translation not about preserving Wittgenstein's words.

b. To the extent that it was much less odd at the time, and to the extent that
the German words have not undergone the same transition in usage, there is a
case for changing it.  We want to reflect how Wittgenstein would have wished to
be understood by someone who read German.  How he might have been understood by
people who understood English when he spoke English is a secondary concern, at
most suggestive.

Finally, I want to emphasize this: Anscombe used one word to translate two
different words.  Whether for variety or in order to draw some distinction,
Wittgenstein used two different words in German.

And I would say (though I am no authority) that translating merkwurdig as
"queer" reads as an understatement.  Merwurdig is most literally rendered as
"memorable" but with a suggestion that the reason it is memorable is its
peculiarity.  "Remarkable" is on the whole a better translation.
"Extraordinary" is good too, though the context would be one's guide.

Translating seltsam as "queer" seems perfectly appropriate however.

JPDeMouy