[C] [Wittrs] Re: Essences versus Framework versus Causal

  • From: "J D" <ubersicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 04:37:46 -0000

JRS,

> But, just perhaps, the now common practices of computer
> programming are beyond anything that Wittgenstein ever saw or
> understood.

I suspect he understood an amount that might surprise our contemporaries - from
discussions with Turing, from Ramsey's exposing him to ideas from Peirce (such
as the type/token distinction) whose ideas have been a big influence on
computer science terminology, and from exposure to ideas in the Brentanian
tradition, the Vienna Circle, et al, which also have influenced computer
science.

> Have you read Ruth Garrett Millikan?

Not firsthand but only by way of references elsewhere.  Is "Biosemantics" the
term you were searching for?

> Now, is type/token significantly different from "grammar"?  Well,
> it's a question of the programming language grammar for such
> things.  Then what?

I'm not sure I understand the question.  The type/token distinction in
semiotics can be used to draw distinctions we might wish to make in a
grammatical investigation.  And it is a distinction people would make in
various ways on an ad hoc basis in various contexts anyway, so I'd certainly
say it's part of grammar.  The type/token distinction as a notion of classes
and instances is certainly something that is a part of our grammar - the
grammar of formal theories in logic and set theory, in various classificatory
schemes in the sciences, and in ordinary English.

JPDeMouy