[C] [Wittrs] Re: Essences versus Framework

  • From: "J D" <ubersicht@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 03:01:11 -0000

SWM,

One person's polysemy is another's family resemblance.  "Polysemy" is itself
not a precisely defined concept.  I grant your distinction but it's important
to note the boundary is quite fluid.

I'd never say that a picture of X counts as an X, except, e.g. where a picture
of a work of art might itself be a work of art.  A picture of a chair is
certainly not a chair unless it is, e.g. a chair with an image of a chair
engraved on it.

By "objet d'art" I meant chairs made from flimsy, fragile, or otherwise
unsuitable materials for decorative or otherwise artistic purposes.  In the
same way that pottery may be made with the intention that it should never
actually be used for storage, serving food, and so forth.

Prejudice against little people?  Is prejudice against people under an inch
tall a pressing issue in our society?  Many doll house miniatures do not even
have corresponding dolls, so there may be nothing that is meant to sit in the
chairs.

JPDeMouy