Re: [Wittrs] New Book on Wittgenstein and Constitutional Theory

  • From: Han Geurdes <han.geurdes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 07:20:45 +0200

Hi Sean

Thanks for your kind words. To me it works the other way around. Most of
the things you write contain very interesting material.

I am also not sure. Perhaps I read it in the Blue Book. I thought
Wittgenstein somewhere wrote on 'making the rules while playing the game'.
Hence, not following a rule but making one whie playing.

It is in the nature of a (language) game to have rules. But when one starts
-when is that?- there might be no rules -or a set of rules from another
game-. The game grows and the rules grow with them.

E.g. I do enjoy and deeply respect physics. I am proud to be able to
contribute. However, why is mathematics so succesful in explaining physical
phenomena? I think Wigner also asked this question.

A Wittgensteinian answer *could* be that the (science) game grew over the
years and the rules (mathematics) grew with it.

Of course we could also think that nature has a mathematical structure but
is that a fact? How can we know that?

Best,
Han