Re: [Wittrs] New Book on Wittgenstein and Constitutional Theory

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:56:50 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Han.

Good to hear from you, as always.

I'm not sure what you mean by "making the rules as we go up."  My book applies
a wide array of Wittgenstein's ideas to the question of what a constitution
means. I rely upon his views on language meaning, artisan judgments
("aesthetics"), aspect seeing, imponderable evidence, private language and
assertability conditions (grammar). I don't think I have one of the so called
"rule following passages" of Philosophical Investigations cited, but I could be
wrong about that. I do, however, have what I have always considered to be a
very important chapter in the book -- Chapter 2 -- on how to follow a flexible
rule. Based on the private feedback I've received on the book, however, people
are not high on that chapter. I really like it because I think it clarifies the
way both Dworkin and political scientists think about how this kind of
statement can be "followed:" No State Shall Deny Equal Protection to its
citizens.

Anyway, always glad to see that you'd find anything I write to be even close to
interesting, even as a topic.

Regards and thanks.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor