[C] [Wittrs] More re Remarks on Foundations of Mathematics

  • From: kirby urner <kirby.urner@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:55:17 -0800

Continuing with some threads that have interested me, and to
which I bring my understanding of Wittgenstein, here's a new
Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadray_coordinates

This is not new material, actually had an article published in
an old FoxPro Advisor, though I didn't cite that as this mag is
no longer in print I don't think, hard to find even on the web.
I should dig up the date though -- added assignment to inbox.

This was a collaborative effort, as I make clear in the docs (the
Wikipedia entry is deliberately short and sweet, almost more
literary than mathematical, like about some gizmo in Uru
(a computer game, by Cyan in Spokane, WA **).

Why this relates to Wittgenstein is it's clearly a little language
game that's easy enough to grasp, yet runs counter to so
many standard assumptions and therefore comes across as
disruptive, breaking gestalts.  But to "break a gestalt" is, in a
more positive light, fighting the bewitchment of our intelligence
by means of language.

Going back to earlier posts, I've been discussing a model of
3rd powering based on the tetrahedron instead of the cube,
and a consistent way of evaluating the volumes of other shapes
based on this standard.  There's a change in nomenclature,
some ripple effects, yet the underlying mathematics is
indifferent to these ripples in the sense that its seamless logic
is undisturbed. There's no broken glass at the end of the day.
We're free to go back to our other games and keep playing
them too, perhaps with some new perspective that'll even
help us play better?

I think that's what "philosophy leaves everything as it is"
sort of means.  Wittgenstein is sometimes portrayed as an
iconoclast.  I prefer to see him as a defender of ordinary
language that's doing work in the world, trying to keep it
from falling into various traps that may have ensnared some
philosopher types, rendering them fascinated and transfixed
by some deep grammatical problems.  There's the therapy
aspect, but also preventive health.  The PI supplies memetic
(mnemonic) antibodies at some level.  One might suggest
students read it, web-publish about it, even if studying
some apparently unrelated science?

OK, back to my studies.  Comments welcome as always
though I know this is arcane material.  If you follow links to
Quadray Papers you might end up in my blog, something
about Quaker Geometry.  Talk about esoteric!

Kirby

** http://cyanworlds.com/company/index.php