[C] [Wittrs] Metaphysical Versus Mystical

  • From: Joseph Polanik <jpolanik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 06:26:58 -0500

Sean Wilson wrote:

>... Ethics is transcendental (6.421) and does not lie in the world
>(which is why you can't talk about it). The solution of the riddle of
>life in space and time lies outside space and time (6.4312). How the
>world is, is completely indifferent for [God]. God does not reveal
>himself in the world (6.432). We can speak of how the world is, but not
>that it is. (6.44) . There is indeed the inexpressible. This shows
>itself; it is the mystical. (6.522).

>QUESTIONS:

>Am I wrong to see "nonsense" as being something more severe than "the
>unspeakable." (That there are two levels here, like felony and
>misdemeanor, or 1st degree and 2nd degree)? (gradation logic).

>1. Mystical that requires silence: God exists. The Earth is Good. You
>should be kind to one another.

>2. Metaphysical that is nonsense: The chair has an essence [where that
>means a spirity form]. Justice has a soul. Reality is in your head
>[where that means the tree is imagined]. (Can you give me more
>examples?)

I have a hard time thinking that 'The Earth is Good' is mystical while
'Justice has a soul' is metaphysical; and, 'Reality is in your head' (in
the sense you mentioned) hardly seems metaphysical at all. it's one
among many theories of perception.

>I guess because Wittgenstein is trying to formulate a theory that says
>what proper speaking/thinking is. And proper thinking is only yes/no
>stuff. And if you have feeling-affect metaphysics -- the mystical --
>you have something that simply cannot be asserted.

the verbal expressions of feeling-affect mysticism are not asserted as
propositions; consequently, there is a sense in which unspeakability is
a limitation for the listener as well as the speaker. neither is able to
convert the verbal expressions of feeling-affect mysticism into a
proposition without creating a metaphysical statement.

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

      http://what-am-i.net