[C] [Wittrs] Essences versus Framework

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 16:18:46 -0800 (PST)

Frequently, philosophers debate the idea of something having an "essence." Some
like the idea and others don't. The idea of "essence" is to find an immutable
thing or a "fundamental property," or a necessary and sufficient condition,
that comprises the thing in question. But it just occurred to me on a
philosophy project I am working on that the term "framework" seems to do away
with the problems of the talk of essences.

Consider. What is the essence of "chair?" This is a problematic question. But
it is much less problematic to say what framework does a "chair" have? The
answer is sitting. And so the one thing that all "chairs" have in common is
being used as a seating device. This isn't a definition. It doesn't mean that
anything you can sit on is a "chair;" it's a framework.  It means that all
those things we call "chairs" are seating items.

Consider another family-resemblance word: "games." What is the essence of
games? We don't know. What is the framework for things we call "games?" Answer:
playing. Show me a game that isn't played. Once again, this isn't a definition
-- we play instruments, too. But it is the one thing that family resemblance
items have in common.

Consider: what is a Kennedy? It's a stipulated-rule for a family membership. We
stipulate that the offspring of X and Y, or adoptions, count. That's the
framework. And each individual member of "Kennedy" may or may not have certain
features -  wealth, teeth and hair -- but each is still different and bears
family resemblance to each other. And so, the things we call "Kennedy" are a
cluster of things with a shared framework.

Can we replace talk of essence with framework?

P.S. -- I just stuck it in my paper, so if not, do a favor and help an old man
out.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University