[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 102

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 10 Jan 2010 10:29:55 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (7 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Re: [C] Re: Nietzsche

Posted by: "Übersichtlichkeit" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sat Jan 9, 2010 4:48 pm (PST)

> > (Apparently, there's only individual with whom I am not fair.)
>
> You lost me on that one.

I was being petty (not toward you). It's not important.

> The Doors played the Ed Sullivan show. Morrison and the band were
> asked to drop the word "higher" given its illegal overtones. Jim said
> it anyway. Confronted by Ed as well as the producers after the number,
> the band was told that they never would play the Ed Sullivan show
> again. Nietzsche enthusiast Jim was, he sardonically piped something
> to the effect, "What do you mean? We already played your show!"

That's a great story, though I wonder if Nietzsche was actually what Jim
had in mind at the time. Perhaps.

JPDeMouy

2.1.

Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sat Jan 9, 2010 5:13 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "Cayuse" <z.z7@...> wrote:

> > Joseph Polanik wrote:

> > if you deny the collapse postulate; then, you end up with the MWI.

Please, what is the collapse postulate, and what is MWL?

> When a particle interacts with another particle and the state vector
is
> reduced, would you claim consciousness for one of the particles (or
> even both of them)?

Is it the particles that become conscious?

bruce

2.2.

Re: Consciousness and Quantum Mechanics

Posted by: "BruceD" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sat Jan 9, 2010 5:15 pm (PST)

http://lesswrong.com/lw/q6/collapse_postulates/

I found this. I need help in understanding it.

bruce

3.1.

Re: kind remarks from Josh

Posted by: "jrstern" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sat Jan 9, 2010 6:38 pm (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "J D" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:

> JRS,
>
> Thanks. I take no small pride in being able to present a reading as separate from a position on the content, so your feedback on that score is encouraging.

I was always taught that one should be able to do this, and I certainly respect it when I see it.

I occassionally try to do so myself, with mixed success.

It seems an old-fashioned behavior to even attempt these days, but that's an entirely different rant.

> Honestly, your questions do tempt me but I am reluctant to engage further on these topics. Some reasons are best left unspoken because they might be read as sniping and there's been more than enough of that. But I can say that such topics really aren't of great interest to me at the moment and there are several other topics I've intended to post about but have neglected in order to respond to topics already in play.

Understood.

> Concerning Hacker vis-a-vis Dennett, you ask
>
> > But I wonder if you'd be as pure in your own theory.
>
> I would deny having a theory, though I am sure you didn't mean that pejoratively.

Ouch, my head. No, I did not mean it pejoratively. I use the word "theory" quite freely, and loosely, often as an effective synonym for "grammar".

> But whether Hacker's remarks (some of which strike me as useful insights, others of which seem to verge into dogmatism) can be stigmatized as "theory" is a tricky question. I mention this not to engage in a debate about Hacker's writings, but to foreshadow a topic I've been working on, related to how we distinguish between grammatical investigations and theories and whether the "therapy" metaphor is essential to this question.

Distinguish between, hmm?

My own efforts are probably more towards unifying them.

> I'll also just make the observation that my concern would be less whether the concept of "intentionality" is being reified and more whether a lot of different ideas, grammatical and psychological, are being run together. And then what one needs is not a theory but a grammatical investigation.
>
> have you read "Orrery of Intentionality"?

Had not, to my recollection, but thanks to Google I've now given it a quick scan:
http://info.sjc.ox.ac.uk/scr/hacker/docs/Orrery%20of%20intentionality.pdf
... and can see that it requires more time to absorb.

I daresay the concept of "cat" involves running together a lot of different ideas, grammatical, psychological, and ontological, so why not "intentionality"?

In any case, my orrery is the Turing Machine, which has its own imperatives.

Josh

4.

innateness and Language

Posted by: "void" rgoteti@xxxxxxxxx   rgoteti

Sat Jan 9, 2010 9:27 pm (PST)

Metaphysics Research Lab, CSLI, Stanford University

The philosophical debate over innate ideas and their role in the acquisition of knowledge has a venerable history. It is thus surprising that very little attention was paid until early last century to the questions of how linguistic knowledge is acquired and what role, if any, innate ideas might play in that process.

This brings us to the question of language evolution: if knowledge of language (say, of the principles of UG) really is inborn in the human language faculty, how did such inborn knowledge evolve? For many years, Chomsky himself refused to speculate about this matter, stating that "[e]volutionary theory?has little to say, as of now, about questions of this nature" (1988:167). Other theorists have not been so reticent, and a large literature has grown up in which the selective advantages of having a language are adumbrated. It's good for communicating with, for instance, when trying to figure out what conspecifics are up to (Pinker and Bloom, 1990; Dunbar 1996). It's a mechanism of group cohesion, analogous to primate grooming (Dunbar 1996). It's a non-genetic mechanism of phenotypical plasticity, allowing organisms to adapt to their environment in non-evolutionary time (Brandon and Hornstein 1986; Sterelny 2003). It's a mechanism by which we can bend others to our will (Dawkins and Krebs 1979; Catania 1990), or make social contracts (Skyrms 1996). Language makes us smarter, perhaps by being internalized and functioning as a `language of thought' (Bickerton 1995, 2000). And so on.
Before leaving the question of language evolution, it is necessary to mention a recent paper by Hauser, Chomsky and Fitch 2002 on this topic. First, they distinguish (2002:1571) what they call the `faculty of language in the narrow sense,' or `FLN,' from the `faculty of language in the broad sense,' or `FLB.' The FLN is the "abstract linguistic computational system alone?which generates internal representations and maps them into the sensory-motor interface by the phonological system, and into the conceptual-intentional interface by the (formal) semantic system." (Ibid.) The FLB includes the FLN plus all the other systems (motor systems, conceptual systems, perceptual systems, and learning skills) which contribute to language acquisition and use.

For your reference For total article refer Stanford encyclopedia
thank you
sekhar

5.

connectionism

Posted by: "void" rgoteti@xxxxxxxxx   rgoteti

Sat Jan 9, 2010 10:04 pm (PST)

Connectionism
First published Sun May 18, 1997; substantive revision Wed Mar 7, 2007

Connectionism is a movement in cognitive science which hopes to explain human intellectual abilities using artificial neural networks (also known as `neural networks' or `neural nets'). Neural networks are simplified models of the brain composed of large numbers of units (the analogs of neurons) together with weights that measure the strength of connections between the units. These weights model the effects of the synapses that link one neuron to another. Experiments on models of this kind have demonstrated an ability to learn such skills as face recognition, reading, and the detection of simple grammatical structure.

Philosophers have become interested in connectionism because it promises to provide an alternative to the classical theory of the mind: the widely held view that the mind is something akin to a digital computer processing a symbolic language. Exactly how and to what extent the connectionist paradigm constitutes a challenge to classicism has been a matter of hot debate in recent years.

Stanford encyclopaedia pl see full length article

6.

perception through linguistic comprehension relative

Posted by: "void" rgoteti@xxxxxxxxx   rgoteti

Sat Jan 9, 2010 10:12 pm (PST)

The influence of concepts and beliefs on perception was also cornerstone of the new philosophy of science that emerged in the 1960s. In a typical passage Thomas Kuhn tells that various visual illusions (of the sort described above) suggests that

?something like a paradigm is prerequisite to perception itself. What a man sees depends both upon what he looks at and also upon what his previous visual-conceptual experience has taught him to see (1970b, p. 113).

In a sense that I am unable to explicate further, the proponents of competing paradigms practice their trades in different worlds. ?Practicing in different worlds ?[the proponents of competing paradigms] see different things when they look from the same point in the same direction (1970b, p. 150).

And Paul Feyerabend:

Given appropriate stimuli, but different systems of classification (different `mental sets'), our perceptual apparatus may produce perceptual objects which cannot be easily compared (1993, p. 166)

The recurring theme in such passages, which are easily multiplied, is that our concepts and beliefs, language and culture, can exert a strong influence on how we perceive the world.

For more pl see Stanford encyclopedia COMPREHENSION

thank you
sekhar

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group