[C] [Wittrs] Digest Number 98

  • From: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: WittrsAMR@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 7 Jan 2010 11:10:05 -0000

Title: WittrsAMR

Messages In This Digest (19 Messages)

Messages

1a.

Is the von Neumann Interpretation Dualistic?

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:05 am (PST)

SWM wrote:

>Joe Polanik wrote:

>>then, I will undertake to show that your mechanistic,
>>Dennett-consistent theory of consciousness can't possibly be true
>>unless the von Neumann Interpretation of QM is wrong.

>>the first step in making my case consists of establishing that the
>>von Neumann Interpretation of QM is dualistic.

>As I've noted, one can recognize an observer in the mix that is
>reflected in the I,II,III division without presuming that the observer
>is not physically derived

according to von Neumann's notation, 'III' represents the 'actual
observer'; and, according to his analysis, III, the actual observer, the
abstract I, is non-physical. if you want to suggest that the abstract I
can be physically derived and yet non-physical, then kindly tell us how
that is or might be possible.

>Is von Neumann dualistic in the way you present him?

the abstract I is non-physical; and, because it has a property that no
physical object has (it collapses the wave function), by the law of
Indiscernibility of Identicals, it can not be identical to any physical
object.

hence, the von Neumann Interpretation is dualistic.

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

1b.

Re: Is the von Neumann Interpretation Dualistic?

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 6:52 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:

<snip>

> according to von Neumann's notation, 'III' represents the 'actual
> observer'; and, according to his analysis, III, the actual observer, the
> abstract I, is non-physical. if you want to suggest that the abstract I
> can be physically derived and yet non-physical, then kindly tell us how
> that is or might be possible.

To be a subject, an observer, is to occupy a position within a perspective. How one achieves that can be physical on the Dennettian model. I don't know what von Neumann necessarily had in mind vis a vis the derivation of observers, but I am noting that one can have a subject with a perspective via physical derivation on a model like Dennett's in which case one can fill category III without assuming an unperceived perceiver as the core of a subject.

> >Is von Neumann dualistic in the way you present him?
>
> the abstract I is non-physical;

That doesn't necessarily mean it isn't physically derived in which case it is not non-physical in every sense.

> and, because it has a property that no
> physical object has (it collapses the wave function), by the law of
> Indiscernibility of Identicals, it can not be identical to any physical
> object.

It has the "property" of being a subject. On the Dennettian model you can construct a subject with physical operations.

> hence, the von Neumann Interpretation is dualistic.
>
> Joe

That is apparently your conclusion but I don't read it that way for the reasons already given, whatever von Neumann's reading of it which seems, still, to be an open question.

It remains for you to show what feature of consciousness is essential for having consciousness isn't accounted for by a Dennettian like model if you want to show that Dennett's model is undermined by the collapse-the-wave-function thesis. Claiming the "abstract I" is not effective because Dennett's model proposes a different understanding of the condition of being an observing subject.

SWM

1c.

Re: Is the von Neumann Interpretation Dualistic?

Posted by: "iro3isdx" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 7:01 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:

> according to von Neumann's notation, 'III' represents the 'actual
> observer'; and, according to his analysis, III, the actual observer,
> the abstract I, is non-physical.

Abstract implies non-physical. I'm not sure why you are making a big
deal over that.

> hence, the von Neumann Interpretation is dualistic.

You are not the first person I have heard asserting that a belief in
abstract objects implies dualism. And I suppose you will not be the
last. But, really, it is completely absurd.

Regards,
Neil

2a.

The Smoking Gun Shoots Off Again !

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:09 am (PST)

SWM wrote:

>Joseph Polanik wrote:

>>I claim that von Neumann did not use my taxonomy of reality types in
>>his analysis of the measurement problem. he did not convert the
>>formula expressed in his notation, (I + II) | III, into a formula
>>that, when expressed in the notation I use for reality types, includes
>>reality type

>We know you say he didn't and I don't claim that you did!

>>I don't make that conversion either. Indeed, I specifically told you
>>"reality type 2 does not appear in von Neumann's formula". [my post of
>>2009-12-31 - 01:47 PM, msg #3686 in the Yahoo group arkive]

>I am well aware you are saying that your 1,2,3 is different from his
>I,II,III. But the fact remains that you derive yours from his (that's
>why you referenced his first as a source and justification for yours).
>You then pin your claim on your version.

I do not derive my set of subscripted pronouns (or the taxonomy of
reality types which they encode) from von Neumann.

>But this is still just smoke, diverting us from the main point which
>is ...

there is a lot of worthless smoke in the cloud of verbiage you crank
out; but, you are the source of it. if you actually want the smoke to
dissipate so that you might focus on a more productive issue (see
below); then, simply stop cranking out these absurd allegations --- that
I converted von Neumann's notation into my own, that I derived my
notation from his, that I redefined his division II to include
phenomenological reality types, and so on.

>Your entire argument appears to hinge on your claim that
>"consciousness" means an "abstract I" (von Neumann's term)

my argument includes the claim that advocates of the von Neumann
Interpretation translate 'abstract I' as 'consciousness'; and, the claim
that, when so used, 'consciousness' means something different from
what you or I or Dennett might mean by 'the subject of experience' or
'the experiencing I' or 'the experiencer'.

>that you tell us has the nature of something like Kant's
>"transcendental I", an unperceived perceiver, and that this is implied
>in von Neumann's formulation.

this is more smoke and nonsense, Stuart. I have never claimed that the
abstract I is "something like Kant's 'transcendental I', an unperceived
perceiver, and that this is implied in von Neumann's formulation" and I
challenge you to identify the post in which you claim I did so.

>My point is that you are saying it is appropriate to use your
>approach, ... presumably because yours adds something (leads to a
>certain conclusion? makes something clearer?).

if by 'my approach' you mean my use of subscripted pronouns; then, yes,
I used them in the attempt to clarify the difference(s) between the two
uses of 'consciousness' mentioned above.

at one point, your post of 2010-01-01 (msg #3708 at yahoo), it seemed
that you understood that.

>>my claim is that 'consciousness' as a synonym of or translation for
>>'abstract I' refers to an (alleged or postulated) entity of reality
>>type 3; whereas, 'consciousness', as you use it, refers to
>>phenomenological (type 2) realities (experiences and the subject of
>>its experiences).

>>would you agree with that claim?

>I would ...

what is your position, now? do you agree or disagree with that claim?

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

2b.

Re: The Smoking Gun Shoots Off Again !

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 9:02 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:

<snip>

> I do not derive my set of subscripted pronouns (or the taxonomy of
> reality types which they encode) from von Neumann.
>
> >But this is still just smoke, diverting us from the main point which
> >is ...
>
> there is a lot of worthless smoke in the cloud of verbiage you crank
> out; but, you are the source of it. if you actually want the smoke to
> dissipate so that you might focus on a more productive issue (see
> below); then, simply stop cranking out these absurd allegations --- that
> I converted von Neumann's notation into my own, that I derived my
> notation from his, that I redefined his division II to include
> phenomenological reality types, and so on.

Sorry if you take my comments as suggesting unoriginality. I am only referencing the fact that you initially cited von Neumann as your basis so it is your presentation, not mine.

> >Your entire argument appears to hinge on your claim that
> >"consciousness" means an "abstract I" (von Neumann's term)
>
> my argument includes the claim that advocates of the von Neumann
> Interpretation translate 'abstract I' as 'consciousness';

So what? That doesn't make THAT a definitive description.

> and, the claim
> that, when so used, 'consciousness' means something different from
> what you or I or Dennett might mean by 'the subject of experience' or
> 'the experiencing I' or 'the experiencer'.

Again, so what? The issue is whether there is any feature of consciousness implied by the interpretation of von Neumann you are referencing that cannot be accounted for by Dennett's model.

> >that you tell us has the nature of something like Kant's
> >"transcendental I", an unperceived perceiver, and that this is implied
> >in von Neumann's formulation.
>
> this is more smoke and nonsense, Stuart. I have never claimed that the
> abstract I is "something like Kant's 'transcendental I', an unperceived
> perceiver,

No you haven't. As I took pains to point out when I first introduced this formulation, this is how I was understanding your use of "abstract I". Note that I asked you numerous times what it means. If it is anything more than a couple of words linked together, it must have an understandable use. And I have repeatedly asked you to correct any formulations of mine that don't match your understanding. Having now done so (and ignoring the hyperbole you deployed in doing so), I must then ask again WHAT IS IT YOU MEAN BY "AN ABSTRACT I"?

> and that this is implied in von Neumann's formulation" and I
> challenge you to identify the post in which you claim I did so.

See above. So what DO you have in mind if it is not some kind of transparent point of awareness, some subject that has a property rather like a Leibizian monad?

There is no point in your declaring something is something else if you cannot explain what it is. Note, of course, that I take your use to be rather like Kant's "transcendental I" (as already noted) which I think is much the same as Leibniz' idea of a monadic consciousness, etc. Either formulation is consistent with a dualist or idealist interpretation. If your "abstract I", taken from von Neumann, is NOT like these formulations, what is it? That is, what is the referent of the term? What is the use (beyond being a plug-in that can be popped into some sentences)?

> >My point is that you are saying it is appropriate to use your
> >approach, ... presumably because yours adds something (leads to a
> >certain conclusion? makes something clearer?).
>
> if by 'my approach' you mean my use of subscripted pronouns; then, yes,
> I used them in the attempt to clarify the difference(s) between the two
> uses of 'consciousness' mentioned above.

Your subscriptions have to trace to a meaning. And I am asking for the meanings in the context of your assertion that the I,II,III formulation is relevant as is your 1,2,3 formulation.

> at one point, your post of 2010-01-01 (msg #3708 at yahoo), it seemed
> that you understood that.

Well, I try . . .

> >>my claim is that 'consciousness' as a synonym of or translation for
> >>'abstract I' refers to an (alleged or postulated) entity of reality
> >>type 3; whereas, 'consciousness', as you use it, refers to
> >>phenomenological (type 2) realities (experiences and the subject of
> >>its experiences).
>
> >>would you agree with that claim?
>
> >I would ...
>
> what is your position, now? do you agree or disagree with that claim?
>
> Joe

My position is the same as it was. Some people DO suppose that the essence or core of consciousness is to be found in a transparent subject, something that apprehends (perceives, conceives, etc.) but is not, itself, apprehended.

This can be consistent with either a dualist or idealist metaphysical picture of how things are, depending on the role ascribed to this kind of subject in the formulation.

I don't know what role von Neumann ascribes to it beyond what you and others say and post here. I therefore make no claims about von Neumann's view but I grant that some people have a dualist position, presumably including you, and that dualism is a different way of explaining the presence of minds in the world. But this is about whether we need a dualist account to do so.

My point in all this is that Dennett's model (to which I generally subscribe for purposes of explaining consciousness) neither grants nor needs such a concept (a dualist interpretation of consciousness as an "abstract I") as an essential feature of consciousness. That is, it accounts for the subjective standpoint differently.

Note that the Dennettian model does NOT deny that there is a subjective standpoint, it does not say, as some have wrongly interpreted it as saying, that there is no subject and no experience had by any subject. It is to say, rather, that the subject and the subject's experience can be explained in physical terms.

If Dennett's model fully accounts for all the features of consciousness, then one does not need to posit dualism or develop a non-physical metaphysical picture to account for the occurrence of consciousness in the universe.

But, given what you have previously said re: the von Neumann thesis about collapsing waves, you have the job, in this discussion, of demonstrating that von Neumann's thesis (whether as interpreted by you or him) implies the existence of at least one feature of consciousness that cannot be accounted for on a model such as Dennett's.

But this cannot be done by asserting a dualist reading of consciousness as a source of the unaccounted for feature (your way of thinking about the "abstract I").

Why not? Because in doing so you are assuming a dualist account which Dennett's model doesn't need.

A posit isn't a feature. At best it's one of the things we do to explain features and Dennett's model doesn't require such a posit to explain the features of our world that we call "consciousness".

SWM

3a.

A Statement of Incompatibilities

Posted by: "Joseph Polanik" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:10 am (PST)

SWM wrote:

>What is there about the von Neumann claim concerning the I,II,III
>categorization, relative to the matter of observers collapsing the wave
>function (by observing phenomena on a quantum level), that you think
>undermines a Dennettian like description of consciousness?

I've already answered this question. to repeat, the incompatibilities
between a von Neumann-consistent philosophy of consciousness and a
Dennett-consistent philosophy of consciousness include these:

[using 'PoC' for 'philosophy of consciousness']

1. a von Neumann-consistent PoC is dualistic. a Dennett-conistent PoC is
monistic.

2. in a Dennett-consistent PoC, consciousness (as defined therein) is
epiphenomenal --- causally ineffective and certainly not the source of a
free will (if there is one at all in such a PoC). in a von
Neumann-consistent PoC consciousness (as defined therein) is causally
effective and is the source of a free will.

I see that you've been posting your thoughts about dualism and I will
review them further before posting an opinion as to whether you've
really addressed the first point.

meanwhile, you may address the second point. would you kindly explain
just how a consciousness (depicted as a narrative center of gravity or
as being like a government press secretary out of the decision making
loop) can be the source of a free will and causally effective at
collapsing a wave function.

Joe

--

Nothing Unreal is Self-Aware

@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@
http://what-am-i.net
@^@~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~@^@

3b.

Re: A Statement of Incompatibilities

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 9:31 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Polanik <jPolanik@...> wrote:

> SWM wrote:

> >What is there about the von Neumann claim concerning the I,II,III
> >categorization, relative to the matter of observers collapsing the wave
> >function (by observing phenomena on a quantum level), that you think
> >undermines a Dennettian like description of consciousness?
>

> I've already answered this question. to repeat, the incompatibilities
> between a von Neumann-consistent philosophy of consciousness and a
> Dennett-consistent philosophy of consciousness include these:

This isn't about incompatibilities. We know your account and Dennett's are incompatible. Your claim hinges on there being an essential feature of whatever it is we mean by "consciousness" that isn't adequately accounted for in Dennett's type of model.

> [using 'PoC' for 'philosophy of consciousness']
>
> 1. a von Neumann-consistent PoC is dualistic. a Dennett-conistent PoC is
> monistic.

The fact that someone's account is dualistic doesn't mean someone else's non-dualistic account isn't true nor do I grant that the collapse of the wave theory by an observer implies dualism as you claim or von Neumann may have claimed (though I don't think this last has been established here -- i.e., we are basically discussing YOUR understanding of the implications of the wave theory collapse issue).

But yes, there is incompabitility between a dualist account of the wave theory collapse story and Dennett's. But that is not a surprise since Dennett's is not a dualistic account!

> 2. in a Dennett-consistent PoC, consciousness (as defined therein) is
> epiphenomenal --- causally ineffective and certainly not the source of a
> free will (if there is one at all in such a PoC).

Ah, here we seem to be getting at something that has been passed over lightly before. But first let me say that Dennett's account does not imply epiphenomenalism if by that you mean that mind has no effect on the world but merely goes along for the ride. Since Dennett's model is that there is no separate realm of mind, only a particular realm of physical interactions which happen to have the features of subjectiveness, mind and the physical behaviors of the brain are seen to being part of the same phenomenon (though expressed in both objectively observable and subjectively apprehendable ways).

Freedom of will is another and different issue and requires unpacking on its own terms. The fact that we are just certain kinds of physical entities in a universe of physical entities does not imply the absence of free will in the way in which we typically speak of being free to choose.

> in a von
> Neumann-consistent PoC consciousness (as defined therein) is causally
> effective and is the source of a free will.

It looks to me like "free will" is a term that needs unpacking here now. I presume the feature of consciousness you now want to say cannot be accounted for on a Dennettian model is "free will" then?

> I see that you've been posting your thoughts about dualism and I will
> review them further before posting an opinion as to whether you've
> really addressed the first point.

As you like. Note that I have reduced my time on this list to maybe once or twice a day so I may not be as quick in responding as formerly. But if you have something interesting and relevant to my concerns to say about the question, I will respond if I see it.

> meanwhile, you may address the second point. would you kindly explain
> just how a consciousness (depicted as a narrative center of gravity or
> as being like a government press secretary out of the decision making
> loop) can be the source of a free will and causally effective at
> collapsing a wave function.
>
> Joe

The Dennettian model does not say we are mindless automatons who just happen to think we have minds. It says we have minds and that those minds are the outcome of physical events. Indeed, both Searle and Dennett subscribe to the very reasonable account that a mind is just a brain doing what it does and so it is a false picture to conjure up an idea of a mind and a brain that are somehow distinct entities in touch in some yet to be accounted for way.

When the mind acts, the brain acts, and vice versa.

We choose to do things from an array of options, in many cases. That's just a characteristic of our experience in the world and the mind in making its choices, is the brain in action.

I suspect from here we shall have to examine in some detail what we each take free will to amount to though, something I'm not going to be the first to initiate given the likelihood it will be an extensive undertaking.

SWM

4.

Quotes of Wittgenstein

Posted by: "void" rgoteti@xxxxxxxxx   rgoteti

Wed Jan 6, 2010 5:10 am (PST)

Answers.com

"Logic takes care of itself; all we have to do is to look and see how it does it."

"The logic of the world is prior to all truth and falsehood."

"I sit astride life like a bad rider on a horse. I only owe it to the horse's good nature that I am not thrown off at this very moment."

"Someone who knows too much finds it hard not to lie."

"If we spoke a different language, we would perceive a somewhat different world."

"Language is a part of our organism and no less complicated than it."

"Knowledge is in the end based on acknowledgement."

"Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness."

"You must always be puzzled by mental illness. The thing I would dread most, if I became mentally ill, would be your adopting a common sense attitude; that you could take it for granted that I was deluded."

"No one likes having offended another person; hence everyone feels so much better if the other person doesn't show he's been offended. Nobody likes being confronted by a wounded spaniel. Remember that. It is much easier patiently -- and tolerantly -- to avoid the person you have injured than to approach him as a friend. You need courage for that."

"Humor is not a mood but a way of looking at the world. So if it is correct to say that humor was stamped out in Nazi Germany, that does not mean that people were not in good spirits, or anything of that sort, but something much deeper and more important."

"The human body is the best picture of the human soul."

"Like everything metaphysical the harmony between thought and reality is to be found in the grammar of the language."

"A philosopher who is not taking part in discussions is like a boxer who never goes into the ring."

"Death is not an event in life: we do not live to experience death. If we take eternity to mean not infinite temporal duration but timelessness, then eternal life belongs to those who live in the present."

"For a large class of cases -- though not for all -- in which we employ the word meaning it can be defined thus: the meaning of a word is its use in the language."

"A serious and good philosophical work could be written consisting entirely of jokes."

"It is one of the chief skills of the philosopher not to occupy himself with questions which do not concern him."

"Philosophy is like trying to open a safe with a combination lock: each little adjustment of the dials seems to achieve nothing, only when everything is in place does the door open."

"Philosophy is not a theory but an activity."

"The real discovery is the one which enables me to stop doing philosophy when I want to. -- The one that gives philosophy peace, so that it is no longer tormented by questions which bring itself into question."

"We regard the photograph, the picture on our wall, as the object itself (the man, landscape, and so on) depicted there. This need not have been so. We could easily imagine people who did not have this relation to such pictures. Who, for example, would be repelled by photographs, because a face without color and even perhaps a face in reduced proportions struck them as inhuman."

"A man will be imprisoned in a room with a door that's unlocked and opens inwards; as long as it does not occur to him to pull rather than push."

"Don't get involved in partial problems, but always take flight to where there is a free view over the whole single great problem, even if this view is still not a clear one."

"It is so characteristic, that just when the mechanics of reproduction are so vastly improved, there are fewer and fewer people who know how the music should be played."

"Our civilization is characterized by the word progress. Progress is its form rather than making progress being one of its features. Typically it constructs. It is occupied with building an ever more complicated structure. And even clarity is sought only"

"Not every religion has to have St. Augustine's attitude to sex. Why even in our culture marriages are celebrated in a church, everyone present knows what is going to happen that night, but that doesn't prevent it being a religious ceremony."

"For a truly religious man nothing is tragic."

"Man has to awaken to wonder -- and so perhaps do peoples. Science is a way of sending him to sleep again."

"Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent."

"There are remarks that sow and remarks that reap."

"Our greatest stupidities may be very wise."

"It is a dogma of the Roman Church that the existence of God can be proved by natural reason. Now this dogma would make it impossible for me to be a Roman Catholic. If I thought of God as another being like myself, outside myself, only infinitely more powerful, then I would regard it as my duty to defy him."

"If you do know that here is one hand, we'll grant you all the rest."

"If a person tells me he has been to the worst places I have no reason to judge him; but if he tells me it was his superior wisdom that enabled him to go there, then I know he is a fraud."

"A man's thinking goes on within his consciousness in a seclusion in comparison with which any physical seclusion is an exhibition to public view."

"In order to be able to set a limit to thought, we should have to find both sides of the limit thinkable (i.e. we should have to be able to think what cannot be thought)."

"You get tragedy where the tree, instead of bending, breaks."

"One often makes a remark and only later sees how true it is."

"The limits of my language are the limits of my mind. All I know is what I have words for."

"Resting on your laurels is as dangerous as resting when you are walking in the snow. You doze off and die in your sleep."

"It seems to me that, in every culture, I come across a chapter headed Wisdom. And then I know exactly what is going to follow: Vanity of vanities, all is vanity."

"Uttering a word is like striking a note on the keyboard of the imagination."

"A new word is like a fresh seed sewn on the ground of the discussion."

"A confession has to be part of your new life."

Copyright © 2005 QuotationsBook.com. All rights reserved.

About

Copyright © 2009 Answers Corporation. Terms of Use Privacy Policy IP Notices Disclaimer

5.

Wittgenstein's Philosophy of Mathematics

Posted by: "void" rgoteti@xxxxxxxxx   rgoteti

Wed Jan 6, 2010 5:49 am (PST)

Ludwig Wittgenstein's Philosophy of Mathematics is undoubtedly the most unknown and under-appreciated part of his philosophical opus. Indeed, more than half of Wittgenstein's writings from 1929 through ... misconception of the meaning of their mathematical propositions and mathematical terms. Education and especially advanced education in mathematics does not encourage clarity but rather represses it?questions ...
Victor Rodych
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/wittgenstein-mathematics/

6.

existence  L Wittgenstein

Posted by: "void" rgoteti@xxxxxxxxx   rgoteti

Wed Jan 6, 2010 6:04 am (PST)

The Wittgensteinian position could be modified to allow a metaphysical "language game" with its own criteria for justification etc, and in which natural theology should be pursued. Then the Judeo-Christian-Islamic "language game" would be part of this larger, autonomous metaphysical "language game". That modified account would cohere with the historical fact of the metaphysical commitment of that religious tradition. In that case, though, it would seem that, not just the Judeo-Christian-Islamic "language game", but all serious intellectual enquiry should also be treated as parts of the one "game", with one set of rules. Thus Wittgensteinian fideism would have been qualified out of existence.

Even if you reject Wittgensteinian fideism you might still take a lesson from it. For it must surely be granted that religious utterances are not made in a purely intellectual way. Their entanglement with commitment to a way of life and their emotional charge might help to explain the fact, if it is one, that those who take religion seriously, whether believers or not, do not in fact have a continuous range of degrees of confidence but operate instead with full belief or full disbelief. For, normally, emotionally charged beliefs are either full on or full off, and in abnormal cases tend to be divided rather than partial. Thus, confronted with conflicting evidence about whether your affection is reciprocated you are far less likely to suspend judgement than to oscillate between full belief and full disbelief. Likewise it seems more normal to oscillate between full belief in God in moments of crisis and full disbelief when things go well than to suspend judgement at all times. This ties in with the Newmanian modification of evidentialism, mentioned above.

Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy

7.1.

Re: SWM and Strong AI

Posted by: "SWM" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 6:42 am (PST)

--- In Wittrs@yahoogroups.com, "J" <wittrsamr@...> wrote:
<snip>

> "...basically it is the supposition that one can produce consciousness on a computer by running certain kinds of programs."
>
> "Strong AI" is not the "supposition" that one "can" produce intentionality (to use Searle's terminology, owing to Brentano - a term I personally would avoid, but we're stuck with it for purposes of this discussion), thought, intelligence, consciousness (all of which Searle unfortunately runs together, though this running together is based on separate arguments, the debating of which would take us too far afield). It is the assertion that running the right kind of program is constitutive of those things.

"Strong AI" is the assertion that brains produce consciousness in a way that is equivalent to how computers operate. What is at issue here is not whether brains work just like computers but whether they produce consciousness in a way that is like the things computers do (even if the underlying mechanisms may differ) in which case there would be no reason to think a computer can't also achieve consciousness.

It's a "supposition" because, in the end, it's a working hypothesis for a particular research program. Note that Searle sets himself, via the CRA, to assert that we cannot achieve consciousness in this way.

Those who think otherwise think we can, that is, they are pursuing a "supposition".

That some may feel more strongly about it than others (i.e., some may believe it HAS to be right) isn't the point. Searle's argument is that it CAN'T be right. If his argument fails, then he hasn't shown that it can't be, even if it remains to be shown that it IS right (which is, finally, an empirical question).

> "Note that I see no difference in this formulation with your 'assertion of an equivalence', i.e., that consciousness is just the running of certain kinds of programming on computers."
>
> What do you mean, you "see no difference"?

The thesis is that consciousness in ourselves is the performance of certain tasks or functions by an organic machine (the brain) in the way programs in operation on computers perform functions and that, if one can perform the same functions brains perform via a computer (even if, at the mechanical level, computers operate differently than brains to perform those functions), then the same results ought to be obtainable, i.e., consciousness.

The platform doesn't matter as long as the same operations can be performed. Consciousness is seen to be the operations performed (as in the particular process-based system), not the underlying machinery, i.e., interchangeability.

> "I suppose we could argue over the nuances here but it seems to me to be a not especially useful area of debate."
>
> The only thing I've been willing to debate with you is your understanding of the Chinese Room Argument and of the position Searle describes as "Strong AI". And I've only been willing to discuss that because you've demanded I justify a remark I made about your lack of understanding. And that remark was foolishly made precisely because I had no interest in that topic though you kept bringing it up when I (again foolishly) attempted to offer assistance in other matters.

Whether foolishly made or not, if you claim it you should back it up or else it is just so much verbal ballast.

> If you're going to dismiss as "nuances" the real logical distinctions I've tried to bring to your attention and regard such things as "not especially useful", then there is really no reason to have this discussion at all.

Oy, which "nuances" do you think ought not to be "dismissed"?

You claim I don't understand Searle's argument. So far it seems to me you are the one who does not since you have persisted in asserting that Searle would consider a more robust system, constructed of the same elements as the CR, as not relevant to his CRA. But that can hardly be true because 1) he does not accept arguments for machine consciousness based on a more robustly specked AI because of his CRA (Dennett's, the Churchlands' Reply); and 2) if his CRA only applied to the limited type system represented by his CR it would not be very important since it only tells us what we already know, that a rote system with limited functions isn't conscious.

While Searle has offered many variations of what he means by "Strong AI", in the end what he means is best seen by observing what he actually says in defense of it, how he uses it, and by its actual implications.

> "The bottom line boils down to this: If consciousness is like programs running on a computer..."
>
> That's called a simile.

So?

> "...(as Dennett describes it) then that in essence IS an assertion of equivalence."
>
> No, it's not. Saying one thing is like something else is not the same as saying that the two things are identical nor yet is it the same as saying that the first thing could possibly produce the second thing.

The issue is not whether they are identical as in being precisely the same (A=A) but whether they can achieve the same kind of results. No one says that a computer is built like or performs its operations like a brain or that a machine consciousness would have to be precisely like ours. For instance, relying on different sensory apparatus, a machine of this type may have different perceptions. What is at issue, rather, is: 1) whether all that our consciousness is is such machine-like operations; and 2) whether, because of this, some machines can be made to have a kind of functionality that includes the features we recognize as consciousness in ourselves (e.g., intentionality, understanding, etc.).

Searle argues, via the CRA, that we cannot achieve such consciousness in machines.

> But I suppose such distinctions are just more "nuance".

Wasn't what I meant by "nuance", however, here is an important nuance for you. The fact that a phrase or term may have the form of a simile doesn't necessarily exhaust its meaning. For instance, noting that, "if consciousness is like programs running on a computer then we ought to be able to do the same thing (produce consciousness by running programs on a computer)" is not to say that "the runner leaped over the barrier in his race like a lion pursuing its prey". The use I offered does not depend on a poetic _expression_ of similarity (whether that can be read into my statement or not). My point was that the Dennettian model is about functionality.

If brains do what they do in a way that is replicable in computers (despite brains and computers being manifestly different kinds of platforms), then the outcomes should be replicable too. But, again, it's an empirical question in the end, whereas Searle's argument is a logical one designed to shut the door on the empirical research.

If Searle's argument succeeds, then AI is a false trail and that, of course, is precisely what Searle claims. Now AI may, indeed, prove to be a false trail but Searle has not shown that logically via the CRA. All he has shown is that the configuration of processes he has specked into his CR would not be judged conscious by us. His effort to draw a broader conclusion from the CR is unsound for the reasons I've previously given (including, among other things, that a system that isn't specked to be conscious cannot be expected to be).

> I'm going to resist replying to the rest of this, though I've been sorely tempted. Having read through twice, I am afraid that when I again reach the line where you tell me that a direct quotation from Searle is a "misreading of Searle", I won't be able to maintain my civility.
>
> JPDeMouy

My reference was to your statement ABOVE that direct quotation and not to the quotation, of course. I was saying you were misreading that quote.

Anyway, I can see you'd rather not pursue this since you fail to address the substantive points I made and, instead grab onto tangential points like similes. I have found that there is a great resistance on the part of many to the implications of a Dennettian type model of consciousness and a great desire to agree with Searle's conclusion about its impossibility, whether one embraces the specifics of his claims or not (which you appear to claim you don't).

But, for the record, and to repeat what I've said before and which you failed to address, Searle's CRA is pointless unless it applies to all computationally based systems, even if more robust than the CR.

If building a system of multiple processing capacity, doing many more things (functions) than the CR does, can produce consciousness, then the CRA is wrong. But if the CRA is deemed not to be addressing such systems because they are "too robust" for it, then, as an argument, it is pointless because the argument over whether computationally based consciousness is possible is not about whether limited systems like the CR are conscious. (See the real work of AI people like Minsky, e.g., The Emotion Machine.)

SWM

7.2.

Re: SWM and Strong AI

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:03 pm (PST)

SWM,

For the record, since you seem to take an interest in such matters (though I'm sure you'll now say that you don't really care, even though you keep alluding to it), I do not cleave to Searle's views. Nor yet to Dennett's. If I were to be identified with any other philosopher's positions in matters even tangentially related to this, they would be those of Peter Hacker (best known as a Wittgenstein exegete), in the book he co-authored with neurophysiologist, Maxwell Bennett, _Philosophical_Foundations_of_Neuroscience_ , and in _Neuroscience_and_Philosophy:_Brain,_Mind,_and_Language_, in which Bennett and Hacker debate Searle and Dennett. Based on that, one might say that my own views are orthogonal to the debate between Searle and Dennett. There are fundamental difference between Hacker on the one side and Searle and Dennett on the other that make the differences between Searle and Dennett... I want to say "negligible", but that's not quite right. Suffice it to say, Searle and Dennett are on one side, Hacker and Bennett are on the other, and I am a lot closer to Hacker. And the disputes concern fundamental issues about the nature of philosophy as well as (what Hacker and Bennett take to be) conceptual confusions and misunderstandings common to many in this "field", including Dennett and Searle. I cannot imagine being persuaded to discuss these topics with you further (though obviously I've done equally foolish things already) fo a variety of reasons, though it should suffice to say that it would complicate matters to no real benefit. And saying this much should suffice to address suggestions that I am somehow indignant that you would dare criticize Searle or somehow just uncomfortable with Dennett, suggestions that are simply irrelevant anyway.

Now, I am going to take a different approach here.

In Searle's paper, "Minds, Brains, and Programs", in which the Chinese Room Argument makes its first appearance, we find the following passage, reminiscent of a press conference by former US Secretary of Defense, Donald Rumsfeld, in which Searle poses and answers a series of questions. My own remarks will be in parentheses.

"'Could a machine think?' The answer is, obviously, yes. We are precisely such machines."

(Here, I agree. For what that's worth. So, to read him as denying that a machine can think, be conscious, and so forth, is simply to misread him.)

"'Yes, but could an artifact, a man-made machine, think?'

"Assuming it is possible to produce artificially a machine with a nervous system, neurons with axons and dendrites, and all the rest of it, sufficiently like ours, again the answer to the question seems to be obviously, yes. If you can exactly duplicate the causes, you could duplicate the effects. And indeed it might be possible to produce consciousness, intentionality, and all the rest of it using some other sorts of chemical principles than those that human beings use. It is, as I said, an empirical question."

(Note how much he grants here. My own answer would be somewhat different, but that needn't concern us here. The fact is that he does grant the possibility that an artifact, a man-made machine, can think, be conscious, and so forth. He doesn't even limit this possibility to an artificial brain that operated on the same chemical basis. So, to read him as denying the possibility that a man-made machine can think, be conscious, and so forth, is again, a misreading.)

"'OK, but could a digital computer think?'

"If by 'digital computer' we mean anything at all that has a level of description where it can correctly be described as the instantiation of a computer program, then again the answer is, of course, yes, since we are the instantiations of any number of computer programs, and we can think."

(I think this is a muddle, but again, that needn't concern us here. He doesn't deny that something that can be correctly described as the instantiaton of a computer program can also be correctly described as thinking.)

"'But could something think, understand, and so on solely in virtue of being a computer with the right sort of program? Could instantiating a program, the right program of course, by itself be a sufficient condition of understanding?'"

(Note well: "solely in virtue" and "sufficient condition".)

"This I think is the right question to ask, though it is usually confused with one or more of the earlier questions, and the answer to it is no.

"'Why not?'

"Because the formal symbol manipulations by themselves don't have any intentionality; they are quite meaningless; they aren't even symbol manipulations, since the symbols don't symbolize anything. In the linguistic jargon, they have only a syntax but no semantics. Such intentionality as computers appear to have is solely in the minds of those who program them and those who use them, those who send in the input and those who interpret the output."

(I consider this also to be a muddle. But that's not the point here. The point is that this answer is addressed to the preceding two questions and not to the three questions prior to them.)

"The aim of the Chinese room example was to try to show this by showing that as soon as we put something into the system that really does have intentionality (a man), and we program him with the formal program, you can see that the formal program carries no additional intentionality. It adds nothing, for example, to a man's ability to understand Chinese."

Now, continuing in a Rumsfeldian vein, I offer some questions and answers of my own:

Is every position that Searle ever criticized therefore an example of the position he calls "Strong AI"?

No. He even explicitly points this out in the original essay. Regarding the "Brain Simulator Reply", he wrote:

"Before countering this reply I want to digress to note that it is an odd reply for any partisan of artificial intelligence (or functionalism, etc.) to make: I thought the whole idea of strong AI is that we don't need to know how the brain works to know how the mind works. The basic hypothesis, or so I had supposed, was that there is a level of mental operations consisting of computational processes over formal elements that constitute the essence of the mental and can be realized in all sorts of different brain processes, in the same way that any computer program can be realized in different computer hardwares: On the assumptions of strong AI, the mind is to the brain as the program is to the hardware, and thus we can understand the mind without doing neurophysiology. If we had to know how the brain worked to do AI, we wouldn't bother with AI."

He then goes on to construct a scenario resembling the Chinese room in some respects, but whatever the merits of this argument, it is no longer the CRA and it is no longer addressed to Strong AI as he defines it.

Does he sometimes criticize positions that do not fit his definition of Strong AI without taking the time to explicitly point that out?

Yes, he does. Again, in the original essay, regarding the "Robot Reply", he doesn't explicitly spell out that this reply is no longer what he has defined as "Strong AI". He does point out the difference though and if you've followed closely, you'll see that the position does involve a departure from the position he's called "Strong AI".

"The first thing to notice about the robot reply is that it tacitly concedes that cognition is not solely a matter of formal symbol manipulation, since this reply adds a set of causal relations with the outside world (cf. Fodor 1980)."

In proceeding to reply to this, he calls his response "the same thought experiment", though in fact it is a variant. But let us grant that it is "the same". (And again, I am setting aside what I may think of the merits of the argument.) That would demonstrate that he regards the Chinese Room Argument (including this variant) as being able to address some cases that do not strictly count as "Strong AI".

But whether he thinks that the Chinese Room Argument applies to cases that do not count as "Strong AI", it does not follow that he expects it to apply to every position he might oppose. Nor does offering some other position that is not addressed by the Chinese Room Argument but is also not a case of Strong AI count as a refutation of the Chinese Room Argument.

The fact that Searle opposes a view is not evidence that he thinks that the Chinese Room Argument refutes it nor is it evidence that the view he opposes counts as "Strong AI" merely because it is something he opposes!

Do philosophers whose positions do not qualify as "Strong AI" as Searle defines it still criticize the Chinese Room Argument?

Yes. The examples above demonstrate this. And undoubtedly, there are other examples of positions that depart from "Strong AI" as Searle defines whose advocates would still take issue with the Chinese Room Argument. For example, I take issue with the Chinese Room Argument and I don't advocate a position even remotely resembling "Strong AI"! But leaving that aside, I am sure there are many people who think it's just a bad argument. That doesn't prove that their positions count as "Strong AI" nor does it mean that they hold positions to which the Chinese Room Argument is even relevant!

Another example, from the original essay, would be what he calls the "Combination Reply". He acknowledges that the case described would be persuasive unless we looked "under the hood" (and again, I am not addressing the merit of this argument), but he says:

"I really don't see that this is any help to the claims of strong AI, and here's why: According to strong AI, instatitiating a formal program with the right input and output is a sufficient condition of, indeed is constitutive of, intentionality."

Again, the fact that a philosopher presents a counter-argument to the Chinese Room Argument and the fact that Searle rejects that counter-argument do not demonstrate that the position they're debating qualifies as "Strong AI".

Isn't "Strong AI" then a straw man, if it's defined so narrowly that most people who argue with Searle don't count as "Strong AI"?

First, suppose that it is. Searle would not be the first to offer a straw man and he would not be the last. That in itself is no reason to disregard the textual evidence that he did define the position he called "Strong AI" quite narrowly.

Second, we should consider the historical context. People have offered various responses that seek to distinguish to evade the Chinese Room Argument and in so doing, their positions sometimes no longer qualify as Strong AI. Would that be a demonstration that Strong AI was a strawman? Or could it be evidence that in raising the issue, he has forced others to reconsider their positions and to reject the position he's set out to criticize, whether they acknowledge it or not?

Third, the literature of the Turing test and on machine functionalism written prior to the publication of "Minds, Brains, and Programs" does show positions that could at least be mistaken for what he describes as "Strong AI". If his work has forced the authors of those works to clarify their positions, to make explicit that they are not advocating Strong AI but had merely been mistaken for such, then he has done a service.

Now, Mr. Mirsky. I have patiently and carefully elaborated my reading of Searle's usage of "Strong AI" and its relationship to the Chinese Room Argument, I have considered various counter-arguments, and I have shown complete civility in doing so. I consider any obligation to you fully discharged. If you do not, I can only wonder what would satisfy you, short of my dishonestly saying that I'm somehow persuaded that you're right and I'm mistaken. The alternative is for me to engage in endless exchanges with you, addressing each and every point you might raise. I don't think my obligation extends that far.

JPDeMouy

7.3.

Re: SWM and Strong AI

Posted by: "jrstern" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 6:45 pm (PST)

JP,

Just want to again simply endorse your post.

I don't have a single quibble about your representations here regarding Searle.

It's quite rare that I see anyone discuss Searle for two paragraphs without thinking that they have blown it. FWIW.

Defending Stuart a little (without his permission) I don't anticipate that he will disagree with a thing you said, either. And maybe I'll let Stuart speak for himself after that.

Just as a final reaction to your post, it is remarkable that you did manage to discuss Searle at length - without giving an explicit *hint* as to what your own position is on the issues (other than the reference to Hacker and Bennett). I know you said you meant not to, but it's often quite difficult for people to hide their own viewpoints - or to even desire to do so! Just sayin'.

If you say your position is closer to Hacker than Bennett as presented in their book, then I have to presume your position is on the order of the Wittgensteinian notions that Hacker both explains and applies. I have trouble imagining any such that differs greatly from Dennett's "stance" descriptions, if that's what you mean by Dennett - since Dennett's later works do seem to be to drift away from a pure stancial view towards a more substantial one - which drift I approve of, btw, and wish he would drift much faster and farther in exactly that direction. Though I'm going to guess you as more of a Hackerite and less of a Bennettian would disapprove of exactly such notions.

OK, Hacker might say that Dennett still reifies intentionality even by attribution as I gather he would not approve of, intentionality becoming its own (and invalid) grammar or game separately from whatever the content of an intentional thought might otherwise be.

But I wonder if you'd be as pure in your own theory.

So, if you would like to present a few indications of what your position is, on the matter of - well, whatever it is on the matter of, mind, intentionality, language, brains? I at least would be curious, and perhaps other lurkers here would, too.

Thanks.

Josh

8a.

Re: [C] Re: Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

Posted by: "kirby urner" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 8:46 am (PST)

On Tue, Jan 5, 2010 at 8:45 PM, CJ <castalia@optonline.net> wrote:

> Sean, J,
>
> when too much philosophizing can be just plain too much

<< snip >>

Hey Sean, good work catching this. Walter Kaufmann did some bold
moves when translating Goethe, Nietzsche and Buber, as you probably
know. Part of the work is matching with contemporary meanings, for
the benefit of readers today, which does involve making lots of
aesthetic judgments, why it's good to have more than one translation
available. Not every philosophical literature is so lucky.

Kaufmann took time in his lectures to address issues of translation,
to speak about them extensively. With Nietzsche's 'Gay Science', he
took the time to talk about this trajectory around 'gay, i.e. at the
time Nietzsche wrote it, he wasn't specifically meaning what some
might presume he meant, if looking through today's lenses. Buber's "I
and Thou" became "I and You" precisely because there's been a reversal
in English to where "thou" is considered the more formal and
distancing whereas "you" has that mutuality, that sense of relating to
a peer. With Nietzsche, he needed to reconsider the "superman" meme,
which only leads to comic book imagery (not such a bad outcome, given
'Thus Spake Zarathustra' has a Narnia-like flavor -- lots of talking
animals etc.). He came up with 'overman' and made it clear this had
nothing to do with Aryans or any of that nonsense (Nietzsche was
Austrian, like LW, wasn't proto-Nazi in any way -- would be Kaufmann's
brief on the guy).

Anyway, the long and short of it is it's very apropos to have this
discussions alongside whatever translations are going on. There's no
requirement to let things "pass silently" as it were, even
(especially) where a thinker as subtle as Wittgenstein is concerned.
I regard your starting this thread as a real public service (simply
for getting the ball rolling) and have cited your post appreciatively
in my journal, providing some of my own local context (naturally).

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2010/01/another-debate.html (last paragraph)

Keep up the great work.

Kirby

--
>>> from mars import math
http://www.wikieducator.org/Digital_Math

8b.

Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Wed Jan 6, 2010 10:34 am (PST)

... much thanks, Kirby.

SW

8c.

[C] Re: Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 11:13 am (PST)

Kirby,

Thanks for the very interesting information regarding Kaufmann's translations and explanations of same.

One quibble:

(Nietzsche was
> Austrian, like LW, wasn't proto-Nazi in any way -- would be Kaufmann's
> brief on the guy).

Surely not. Surely, Kaufmann would know that Nietzsche was born and died in Saxony, Prussia, that he studied at Bonn, that he taught in Switzerland, that after that he summered in Switzerland, but spent his winters in Italy and France on different occasions, but on no account was Austrian. He would know that Nietzsche had been a citizen of Prussia, a part of the German Confederation, but had that annulled to teach at Basel and was thenceforth officially stateless. He'd also know that Nietzsche insisted on his descent from Polish noblemen.

Moreover, he'd know that Hitler himself was Austrian, so being Austrian would not preclude being a Nazi, proto- or otherwise.

That Nietzsche ended his friendship (and his hero-worship) of Wagner on learning of the latter's anti-Semitism, considering such bigotry to be contrary to his overman ideal would be far more relevant as a brief way of dispensing with the "proto-Nazi" charge. (Similarly, his break with friend and editor, Ernst Schmeitzner, for similar reasons.)

(And the history of his sister's selection and redaction of her brother's work on the basis of her own Nazi sympathies would serve in part to address why people might have taken him as such.)

JPDeMouy

8d.

Re: [C] Re: Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

Posted by: "kirby urner" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 1:24 pm (PST)

On Wed, Jan 6, 2010 at 11:12 AM, J <ubersicht@gmail.com> wrote:

> Kirby,
>
> Thanks for the very interesting information regarding Kaufmann's translations and explanations of same.
>
> One quibble:
>
>  (Nietzsche was
> > Austrian, like LW, wasn't proto-Nazi in any way -- would be Kaufmann's
> > brief on the guy).
>
> Surely not.  Surely, Kaufmann would know that Nietzsche was born and died in Saxony, Prussia, that he studied at Bonn, that he taught in Switzerland, that after that he summered in Switzerland, but spent his winters in Italy and France on different occasions, but on no account was Austrian.  He would know that Nietzsche had been a citizen of Prussia, a part of the German Confederation, but had that annulled to teach at Basel and was thenceforth officially stateless.  He'd also know that Nietzsche insisted on his descent from Polish noblemen.

Yes, thank you. Kaufmann would have known all this yes.

I notice in the Wikipedia bio of Nietzsche the following interesting sentence:

"Before moving to Basel, Nietzsche renounced his Prussian citizenship:
for the rest of his life he remained officially stateless.[9]"

Here's a Nietzsche quote from my blog, which I have just updated (and
changed the time stamp) to address the error of my ways (I'd called
him Austrian there too).

From Twilight of the Idols:

"""
One pays heavily for coming to power: power makes stupid. The Germans
-- once they were called the people of thinkers: do they think at all
today? The Germans are now bored with the spirit, the Germans now
mistrust the spirit; politics swallows up all serious concern for
really spiritual matters. Deutschland, Deutschland uber alles -- I
fear that was the end of German philosophy. [1]
"""

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2008/02/philosophy-101.html

> Moreover, he'd know that Hitler himself was Austrian, so being Austrian would not preclude being a Nazi, proto- or otherwise.

Wittgenstein gets to be Austrian right?

Yes, good point. There's that book putting Hitler and Wittgenstein
together and suggesting a rivalry. I'm not sure to what extent anyone
believes this story.

Wikipedia again:

"""
Until 1903, Ludwig was educated by private tutors at home; after that,
he began three years of schooling at the Realschule in Linz, a school
emphasizing technical topics. For one school year, Adolf Hitler, who
was born a mere six days before Wittgenstein, was a student there, but
two grades below Wittgenstein, when both boys were 14 or 15 years
old.[15] It is unknown whether Hitler and Wittgenstein even knew of
each other, and, if so, whether either had any memory of the other.
"""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Jew_of_Linz (upon re-reading this
entry, I see scholars are pretty much universally highly skeptical,
consider this historical fiction (ala Neal Stephenson's novels I might
suggest)).

> That Nietzsche ended his friendship (and his hero-worship) of Wagner on learning of the latter's anti-Semitism, considering such bigotry to be contrary to his overman ideal would be far more relevant as a brief way of dispensing with the "proto-Nazi" charge.  (Similarly, his break with friend and editor, Ernst Schmeitzner, for similar reasons.)
>
> (And the history of his sister's selection and redaction of her brother's work on the basis of her own Nazi sympathies would serve in part to address why people might have taken him as such.)

Yes, this matches Kaufmann's account pretty well, to the best of my
recollection.

I accept responsibility for the errors above and thank you for correcting me.

Kirby

--
>>> from mars import math
http://www.wikieducator.org/Digital_Math

8e.

[C] Re: Re: Wittgenstein, Translations & "Queer"

Posted by: "J" wittrsamr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:07 pm (PST)

KU,

I actually had not known that he'd been officially without a state until I checked that Wikipedia article to confirm the things I did recall. Hence the paraphrase.

> Wittgenstein gets to be Austrian right?

Wittgenstein was an Austrian who became a British subject.

There are certain ugly views that make that a murky question - ugly views that had serious practical consequences for Wittgenstein's family - but I don't think such views have a place in what we call him, except to the extent that we are acknowledging the role those ugly views played in his life and the life of his kin.

> Yes, good point. There's that book putting Hitler and Wittgenstein
> together and suggesting a rivalry. I'm not sure to what extent anyone
> believes this story.

My take is that Cornish was hoping to push his own philosophical positions and his readings of Schopenhauer and Wittgenstein on the sensationalism of a ridiculous narrative rather than on the merits of those views.

Did Hitler and Wittgenstein attend the same school at the same time? I think so. That seems pretty well confirmed.

Did they meet? We can only speculate.

Was Wittgenstein the first Jew Hitler ever insulted? Could be, I suppose. No reason to think that but it's not that implausible.

Was there a lifelong rivalry? No.

Why not? Hitler himself had to authorize the granting of mischlinge status to Wittgenstein's sisters. If so much of his life had been driven by such a rivalry, it's just implausible he'd have agreed to that.

That and... well... the fact that there's not a gods damn shred of frakkin' evidence for such a rivalry!

> Yes, this matches Kaufmann's account pretty well, to the best of my
> recollection.

My remarks were based on my own recollection of Kaufmann, so our recollections at least agree.

> I accept responsibility for the errors above and thank you for correcting me.

You're most welcome. And your attitude is thoroughly refreshing.

(Some recent discussions with others had me prepared for the possibility of a claim that, since Nietzsche claimed Polish ancestry and part of Poland was at the time part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, that somehow a case could be made that that made him Austrian. Crazier arguments have been made!)

JPDeMouy

9a.

Re: [C] Re: On When the New Wittgenstein Arrived (Again)

Posted by: "Sean Wilson" whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx   whoooo26505

Wed Jan 6, 2010 11:59 pm (PST)

(J)

... I don't know what to say. On one hand, I'm inclined to agree with one point that you make. Perhaps the problem with the way I have characterized this is that too much is front-loaded. I've taken the breaking of the ice (or the fall of the first domino) as though it were the equivalent of what necessarily followed from those events. It is true that those events, however necessary I would claim them, still have to happen. One want to say in late 30 he stuck a new dinner in oven. It still has to be cooked.

But on the other hand, I have some objections with your views. The first is whether we are really disagreeing about something or just talking about it differently. (glass half full or empty). Let's do this. Let's agree that there is a latter Wittgenstein (LW) of some sort which is different from Early Wittgenstein (EW) of some sort. And let's agree the difference is only relative, for even LW bears SOME important relationship EW (as many scholars emphasize). The question becomes: what does LW consist of that EW doesn't, when did it happen, and what might be said to be the transitional Wittgenstein (TW)?

I'm still going with what Monk says. The Wittgenstein of Philosophical Remarks clearly has backed off of, yet retained enough of, EW. He sticks Kant and and talk of phenomenology in the mix as a band-aid while endorsing verification. He talks of words having space that cannot be invaded and of inner mental connections. And almost right after presenting these views to receive his college stipend, he begins to shed the only remaining links to EW, including those temporary band-aids.

The shedding of the specific things begins in 1930, to wit:

1. rejection of elementary propositions and logical inference. (Telling Schlick how his views had changed since the Tractatus, Wittgenstein wrote, "... at the time, I had thought that all inference was based on tautological form. At that time I had not seen that an inference can also have the form: This man is 2m tall, therefore he is not 3, tall. .. What was wrong about my conception was that I believed that the syntax of logical constants could be laid down without paying much attention to their inner connection ... [which Wittgenstein's new mission is to now discover] ." (284-285)

2. introduction of a central role for grammar. (The possibility of a circle that is longer than it is wide is ruled out by what we mean by 'circle.' Wittgenstein describes this idea as syntax and as grammar. 285)

3. Rejection of doctrines and theses as philosophical method; ("If one tried to advance theses in philosophy, it would never be possible to debate them, because everyone would agree to them.') (297)

4. Seeing philosophical method as a craft or technique (rather than formulating proofs). He told Drury that this realization provided him, " a real resting place. ... I know that my method is right ... My father was a business man, and I am a business man: I want my philosophy to be business like, to get something done, to get something settled." Monk says, "the 'transitional phase' in Wittgenstein's philosophy comes to an end with this." (297)

5. waffling on the verification principle soon after reinforcing it to Schlick and Waisman in the same year. (Monk doesn't give a date, but the suggestion is 1930 [if this is wrong, it could be important if after 32:] Wittgenstein tells the Moral Science Club, "I used at time to say that, in order to get clear about how a sentence is used, it was a good idea to ask oneself the question, 'how would one try to verify such an assertion?' But that is just one way among others of getting clear ... . For example, another question which it is very often useful is to ask oneself is: 'How is this word learned?'  'How would one set about teaching a child to use this word?' But some people have turned this suggestion about asking for verification into a dogma -- as if I'd been advancing a theory of meaning. (287-288)).

6. Announcing in the lectures of the Lent term of 1930 that philosophy's role is to dispel puzzles of language, and that doing so involves spelling out grammar ("grammar tells us what makes sense and what does not"). Wittgenstein also rejects the causal view of meaning (e.g., I intend with words to cause a foreseeable behavioral effect. Doesn't work for confusion). (291)

7. Arriving for the Fall term, Wittgenstein had a clear conception of the right method in philosophy. "The nimbus of philosophy has been lost." Philosophy is like "tidying up a room." (298-299). He writes about the nature of his views, "For me ... clarity, perspicuity are valuable in themselves. ... I am not interested in constructing a building, so much as in having a perspicuous view of the foundations of possible buildings." (300-301)

Also, please note that In the chapter "the Fog Clears," which takes place in late 30, is so littered with modern Wittgensteinianisms that one cannot in good faith call this Wittgenstein transitory to Tractarian thought. At this point in time, the dinner in the oven is well on its way and is even recognizable in the rough form it will be consumed. (Imagine a turkey on Thanksgiving getting brown). I can't type all of that stuff. Could you look at it for me?

(Summary: strongly anti-theory, anti-formalistic, anti-analysis, anti-logic talk. Importantly, internal phenomena cannot be examined or justified -- we can only give examples of where rules are used correctly or incorrectly, and say: 'look, don't you see the rule?" (shedding that Kantian talk).  Mathematics doesn't need a reason for it to be. Contradiction isn't important. You can't prove proving.)

All of this turn-coat stuff is being put into Philosophical Grammar in 31 and 32. This is apparently where he begins his notebook-to-manuscript-to-typescript (and back again!) process. In fact, this is what produces the first "big typescript."  Monk describes the work in 31 as Wittgenstein "beginning to formulate some sort of satisfactory presentation of his new thought." (319). The thought,by the way, that he has been telling his students over the last year. Wittgenstein tells Schlick in 1931 that he can no longer go forward with the updated Tractatus book, because his views are now too much opposed to the Tractatus. "There are very, very many statements in the book which I now disagree!" (emphasis on both verys). He tells Waisman that clarity and peace are better than logic and truth. (320-321). He's telling his kids that grammar is to replace theories and truth. (322).

Also, see Monk on 325 -- the chapter on philosophy that was in the Big T but did not make it into PG. (Philosophy is confused by asking wrong questions -- like "what is time.")

Here is where I think I fundamentally differ with you. He dictates the big T in the summer of 32. But the thoughts were already there in 30/31. They just have to be polished and worked out. I think I'm taking a biographical look at this and you are looking at this legalistically (when documents are produced, etc.). Monk does say that as soon as he completed the Big T, he began making extensive revisions of it. And neither I nor you deny he still has work to do on the dinner. You mentioned some things that he had to later clarify and formulate. I don't disagree with that.

But my Wittgenstein came to the earth in late 30. Like Jesus, he came to his students and friends first with "the word."  The date of birth is when the new ideas entered his head, not when he presents a formal document of them.

I don't know really how much we are disagreeing.

Regards.

Dr. Sean Wilson, Esq.
Assistant Professor
Wright State University