[Wittrs] Wittgenstein on England

  • From: Wittr2Feed <wittrs2feed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wittrsfeed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wittrsfeed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "wittrs2feed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wittrs2feed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 19:51:13 -0800 (PST)

... from Ray Monk, p. 516.  (around 1947 or so)

"Wittgenstein was now convinced he had to get out of England. 'In this
country,' he wrote on 13 April, 'there is no more obvious reaction for people
like me than misanthropy.' The fact that one could not possibly imagine a
revolution taking place in England made it all the more depressing: 'It is as
though one could say of this country: it has a damp, cold SPIRITUAL climate.'
Ten days later: 'Cambridge grows more and more hateful to me. The
disintegrating and putrefying English civilization. A country in which politics
alternates between an evil purpose and NO purpose.'

'I feel myself to be an alien in the world,' he wrote in July. 'If you have no
ties to either mankind or to God, then you ARE an alien.'

on p. 521, in a letter to Von Wright regarding whether to accept the Cambridge
Chair in Philosophy, Wittgenstein writes:  " ... the prospect of becoming
English, or a refugee in England, seemed to me anything but attractive in our
time."

** Note: This message was forwarded to Wittrs by the Editorial Board, so that
members might enjoy or comment upon it. This is a common practice. If the
message came from another list or rss feed, the link(s) should appear above. In
such a situation, the original author may not see your reply. Members of Wittrs
are encouraged to visit the link(s)that are fed here.