[Wittrs] Rules, Discretion, Morality and Aesthetics

  • From: Sean Wilson <whoooo26505@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wittrs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 19:07:06 -0700 (PDT)

... that's my field, so I appreciate the analogy. It's funny, I was thinking a
similar idea. The matter involves casuistry. Much of what common law decision
making really is -- and really, all supreme court decision making -- is
casuistry. I also wonder to what extent all casuistry isn't really a kind of
aesthetic in a Wittgensteinian sense at the end of the day.  Dworkin and others
would consider it "moral reasoning," but I think it is more in the nature of
the cultivation of a proper aesthetic.