[wisb] 'white' red-tailed hawks - Town of Prmirose, Dane Co.

  • From: Judy Olson <judyolson518@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jan 2010 15:21:48 -0800 (PST)

I am forwarding information I received about two white red tail hawks:

"Yesterday 1/23/10 in the mid-afternoon, I observed what appeared to be a pair
of all-white hawks soaring above my woodlot from a distance of about a hundred
yards. They appeared to be very similar to the red-tailed hawks that I am most
familiar with around the farm although their wingspan seemed a bit longer and
they seemed heavier in the body that red-tailed hawks normally seen here.

I am very sure that at least one of them was totally white on both the top and
the bottom and pretty sure that the other was as well. I am less sure about the
second being completely white as the light was flat, conditions a bit foggy and
my distance from the second hawk a little further.

In any case, I was able to observe them for over ten minutes and am persuaded
that I have never before seen hawks like this here before.

My farm is off Ness Road in the Town of Primrose, Dane County section 31."

Judy Olson