[wisb] please don't report the location of roostring owls on the birdnet

  • From: "William Mueller" <iltlawas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Jan 2010 11:45:20 -0600

Once again, at the risk of incurring the ire of birders far and wide, I
must reiterate that I feel it is unwise to report the location of roosting
owls on the birdnet. While any one of you may intend no harm to roosting
birds in this circumstance, you cannot know the intention of others who
learn of the location of such birds, or the intention or possible misguided
actions of people who follow in your wake. I once again offer the guidance
of the following informational links:

http://www.aba.org/about/ethics.html

http://www.wisconsinbirds.org/ethicalstandardsbirds.htm

William P. Mueller
Conservation Chair - Wisconsin Society for Ornithology (WSO)
Project Coordinator - Milwaukee County Avian Migration Monitoring
Partnership (MCAMMP)
(414) 698-9108
(262) 638-0735
E-mail: iltlawas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx