[wisb] first ever yard bird ~Chippewa county

  • From: claudia giamati <cgiamati@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisb <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 07:41:27 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings birding enthusiasts!
After reading all the shorebird reports from "down south", I had been combing
this area in search of good habitat.
All I can come up with is the rivers where the sandbars are exposed from the
low water levels.
This morning as I was getting up I heard an odd call and brushed it off as
crows making weird noises. When I accompanied the dog for his morning
constitutional... I noticed an unusual crow in the neighbor's trees. That bill
was awfully long, and I couldn't distinguish color, due to backlighting.. Then
it took off and flew towards me into one of my maple trees. The bird landed in
the tree and flapped its feathers demonstratively. It elongated his neck and
raised his crest and i was running to the house to get a camera and binies, so
I could watch not one, but two green herons hanging out in my maple tree!!!!
I've never seen them raise their crests. so that was very cool! and for being
out in  meadow, to see a marsh bird is a big surprise!!! and I love green
herons!!!Once I got the bins on them, I noticed one of the birds looked like an
immature bird. The calls they were making were regular flight calls, that I
would recognize if I were anywhere near a
 marsh or wetland.. Migration is on in early August!
get out there!

Claudia Giamati
Chippewa Falls(mailing address)
Chippewa County

"A knowledge of the path cannot be substituted for putting one foot in front of
the other."

-- M. C. Richards