[wisb] Marbled Godwit flock on the edge of MN & WI

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 09:02:57 -0500

Yesterday morning I was out at Park Point (Duluth), and had an impressive
movement of shorebirds move through, including a flock of 21 Marbled
Godwit. I'm forwarding this email to the Wisconsin listserv to let you know
to keep an eye out for this group of birds as they meander south of Lake
Superior. Below is the copied email that I posted on MNBirds and the MOU.
I've been keeping up with the WI posts. Hope all is well fellow
Wisconsinites!

This morning I birded along Park Point at the end of the road near the
"Dune Bridge" area. It was a rainy, gloomy morning to be out, but
shorebird-watching was great! The highlight of the morning was observing
and photographing a flock of 21 MARBLED GODWIT! It was really exciting to
see so many of them at one time. There were several other sweet shorebird
species making their way south too, both in small groups flying by, and on
the beach.

My eBird list from this morning is below:

Photos

Marbled Godwit flock (all 21)
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/145274729

Semipalmated Sandpiper
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/145274732

Two of the three distant Black-bellied Plovers from this morning
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/145274728

My laridae buddies on the beach
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/145274730

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Birding Tours and Bird photography
birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx