[wisb] Re: back on wisbirdn though never off

  • From: "Mike Duchek" <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dkkearns@xxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2009 12:29:44 -0500

Kevin,

When you get those messages, I think it means the individual set his email
client (i.e., Microsoft Outlook, or an online email service like GMail) to a
special mode so that it responds automatically to messages they receive
while they are away (i.e., "I am out of the office until Monday, call my
secretary if you need anything before then").

This is totally separate from the vacation mode on the list, which
temporarily (or permanently, for some, if one doesn't want to receive emails
at all) stops the list from sending you the list messages.  Putting your
list mode on vacation mode, however, does not, *I assume*, affect one's
ability to send messages to the list, as I think it should be.  (Otherwise I
don't think Tom would have recommended it as a way to be a list member who
doesn't receive any messages but can post messages to the list)  I think it
only means that while on vacation mode you don't get the list messages
delivered to you, presumably so when you get back from vacation your inbox
isn't full of a backlog of messages.

It's also separate from unsubscribing from the list, which means you're
*permanently* (well, at least until you resubscribe) removing yourself from
the list and will no longer be able to send or receive messages to it.

I agree the messages you get telling you that someone is out of the office
are kind of annoying, but I doubt there's anything you, or Tom, can do to
avoid getting them.  The person setting it up may be able to avoid it,
however.  In MS Outlook 2003, for example, this feature is under Tools>Out
of Office Assistant and it may allow you under rules to disable the
autoreply for wisbird or other messages.  Those people who use these types
of features might want to explore this.

- Mike Duchek, Madison, Dane Co.