[wisb] back on wisbirdn though never off

  • From: "David, Karl H." <david@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 11:20:36 -0500

Has anyone else had trouble unsubscribing from the list when going on
vacation? I followed the protocol and was told I had successfully
unsubscribed, but I found 200 or so messages when I returned, so
obviously it hadn't worked. Oh well, at least I don't have to
resubscribe! And I won't be wasting time looking for the Purple
Gallinule to add to my state list.

Very quickly if you're interested, my wife and I went to the ABA
Conference in Minot, North Dakota. We drove out, which turned out to be
a big factor in making the trip a success. I got the two hoped-for life
birds, Sprague's Pipit and Baird's Sparrow, but that was just the tip of
the iceberg. Just as one example: you may see Marbled Godwits in
Wisconsin, but you won't hear them give their flight songs. Thrilling!
Scenically, North Dakota has a much more varied, interesting habitat
than I would have given it credit for beforehand. Fortunately the
weather was quite nice. And on the drive back, there were some great
views of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, in Oacoma, SD for the
first and in Pikes Peak State Park, IA for the second. I learned that
"Pierre" is pronounced "pier," and that the Pike in question is indeed
the same Zebulon Pike who lent his name to the far more famous landmark
of the same appellation in Colorado.  The one in Iowa is right across
the river from Prairie du Chien.

Karl David

Milwaukee