[wisb] White-crowned Sparrows

  • From: "Bob Domagalski" <rcd2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wis Birdnet" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Jun 2009 23:27:09 -0500

early summer species in Wisconsin.  There are numerous late May records (esp.
from Douglas County) but these late May records (often to May 31st) never
extend in June.  This sparrow is perhaps not all that accidental in the
northern reaches of the state in the first week or two of June.  There are only
4 valid state records for the White-crowned beyond June 5th.  These records are
shown below.  What is odd is that only one of the four comes from the northern
part of the state.
    In Manitowoc County, I was rather pleased to find two adult White-crowned
Sparrows on the rather late date of May 23rd at Fischer Creek.  The next day,
while doing an historical study with a woman who lives in the Township of
Centerville just east of the Newton line, we were surprised to see an adult
White-crowned feeding on the seed at her table feeder on the front porch of her
farmhouse.  Today, June 7th, while birding in the Eaton Township (just south
from the Collins Marsh), I found an adult White-crowned Sparrow feeding in the
gravel of a driveway.  Never before has a White-crowned been reported in
Wisconsin on June 7th!

        -- Bob Domagalski, Menomonee Falls

      --  four mid-June records

      1.  June 10, 2004 ? Dane, Steve Thiessen

      2.  June 11, 1953 ? Burnett, Norman R. Stone

      3.  June 12, 1943 ? Door, Murl Deusing

      4.  June 16-18, 1998 ? Washington, Thomas Schaefer

      --  may have been a rare nester before 1900; one summering record since
1900

      over summer 1945 ? Door, Harold C. Wilson