[wisb] Western Grebe: Lake Maria (Green Lake Cty)

  • From: Douglas Stratton <stratton.douglas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:39:18 -0500

I stopped by Lake Maria Just after 2pm yesterday (Sunday) and thanks to 3
friendly gentlemen I was able to view the Western grebe.  It was very far
away on the eastern side and was busy fishing, so one had to be patient and
persistent.  I don't think I would have ever found it without their help.
After about 10 minutes, it quit fishing and decided to head to the middle
of the lake, running across the top of the water several times.  I would
have stayed longer to see how close it would come, except a storm blew in
and blew me away.  Thanks to all the posts, this was a lifer for me.
--
Douglas R Stratton
Onalaska, La Crosse County