[wisb] Crex: no Kite, no Godwit. Raptor RFI

  • From: Anna Keaney <annakeaney@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WisBird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 11:35:05 -0500

Spent an hour last night and several hours this morning at Crex meadows. No
sign of white -tailed kite or marbled godwit. Crossed paths with a few other
birders, they hadn't seen them either. Ah well.
Several times we saw a large raptor flying low over fields, apparently hunting.
It was dark, with a noticeable white tail. It stayed on the ground after
swooping down. We never saw it perch. It looked like a picture of a young
Rough-legged hawk, but it's far too early for those, right?

We also saw a huge raptor flying over the marshes that landed in a tree just
far enough away that we couldn't identify it for sure. It was big enough for an
eagle for certain, but had no white head or tail. We're familiar with juvenile
Balds, and this did not appear to have that mottled look. But, again, it's too
early for a Golden, right?

It's been a challenging identifying day for us today.

Anna Keaney
Gibson Dullea