[wisb] Wednesday AM: YCNHs at Veteran's Park - Milwaukee

  • From: thomas657@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 14:46:02 -0400

After posting a photo of three night herons yesterday, I was surprised and
pleased to find out that two of them were Yellow-crowned and the one on the
middle was the lone Black-crowned.  Thanks to Jym and Chris for pointing out
the subtle differences.

Before work, I made a quick stop at the lagoon to see whether I could locate
them again.  I didn't see the Green Herons, but I did spot the two
Tellow-Crowned Night Herons, and the lone Black-crowned Night Heron.  The BCNH
was in the same spot as the other day, in the middle of the dried logs and
trees on the east side near the south end.  The two YCNHs were on the ground a
little to the right of the BCNH.  Eventually, all three took off and headed to
another spot a little further north on the east side.  It seems they favor that
side.

With the birds in shade and the skies slightly overcast, the photos are not as
crips as I'd like, but htey give a better visual that looking at three birds
facing away from me.

Yellow-crowned Night Heron(s):
Two Juveniles:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22836210@N03/7741458696/in/photostream/