[wisb] Dane, Rock and Jefferson County Shorebirding

  • From: Aaron Stutz <agstutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 11:38:25 -0500

Hi all,

I checked out a number of shorebird spots in S. Wisconsin following some
appointments in Madison yesterday.  Diversity was quite low with L.
Yellowlegs, Pectoral and Solitary Sandpipers dominating all the flocks.
I still managed to find a few needles in the haystacks (Upland, Baird's,
Stilt Sandpiper, Least, Semipalmated Sandpiper and Plover)

First stop was the Yahara Widespread (near Stoughton along B). Shorebird
numbers were low and the best birds were in a kettle containing 5
raptors (3 Osprey, 1 Red-shouldered, 1 Cooper's Hawk). The
Red-shouldered was calling repeatedly.  This is the first time I've seen
a Red-shouldered Hawk in the area--nearest nesting locale is probably
Danielson Road/Lake Koshkonong.

abridged Yahara Widespread list:

Osprey  3 (only 1 adult)
Cooper's Hawk  1
Red-shouldered Hawk  1     In a kettle with other raptors.  Seen and heard.
Surprising find
Semipalmated Plover  1
Killdeer  3
Solitary Sandpiper  3
Lesser Yellowlegs  12
Least Sandpiper  4

Hwy 59 west of Edgerton (between Bublitz and Dallman) had huge numbers
of birds, but very little diversity.  There is very little water
anymore.  I found myself doing a double take on some of the Black Terns
while scanning the flats because they superficially resemble
Black-necked Stilts.

Edgerton abridged list:

Semipalmated Plover  1
Killdeer  75
Spotted Sandpiper  5
Solitary Sandpiper  60
Greater Yellowlegs  8
Lesser Yellowlegs  40
Semipalmated Sandpiper  2
Least Sandpiper  15
Baird's Sandpiper  1
Pectoral Sandpiper  80
Black Tern  75

My last stop was Rose Lake near Fort Atkinson.  I scoped from the
observation platform a short hike from the Radloff Road parking lot.
There are trees in the way, but with a little patience you can see most
of the lake/mudflat.  Best bird was an Upland Sandpiper (probably a
juvenile) that spent all its time on dry land and in some tall grasses.
I also had a possible Buff-breasted Sandpiper, but it was too far away
to be sure (throughout the day I saw Pectorals adopt postures
reminiscent of Buff-breasted and Ruff, so I left this distant bird
unidentified).

Common Gallinule  6 (with young, my FOY observation at this location.  I was
starting to think they abandoned this location this year)
Semipalmated Plover  2
Killdeer  44
Spotted Sandpiper  5
Solitary Sandpiper  25
Greater Yellowlegs  5
Lesser Yellowlegs  30
Upland Sandpiper  1     1.5 times larger than nearby Solitary Sandpiper.
Observed all the way across the lake.  Bill = head width, plumage was
brown/gray overall at this distance.  Legs were yellow, head & neck had 2-tone
effect--paler around cheek and above the eye (suggests juvenile).  Neck was
darker than pale regions above and below eye.  In flight showed pale belly,
gray/brown underwings and long tail.  Never vocalized.  This bird NEVER went
close to the water.  It always stayed on dry ground or walked into tall grasses
along the old edge of the lake.
Least Sandpiper  5
Pectoral Sandpiper  80
Stilt Sandpiper  1