[wisb] Walworth Feeders N. Shrike

  • From: "K. Hilary Ford" <khilaryf32@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 15:36:29 -0600

We have been in Florida all Jan. but with no feeders outside our
rentals.  Nice area - racked up 95 species, but really had trouble
doing that!  It seemed strange to visit State Parks along the Suwanee
River, and not seeing much - even walking the trails through!  Saw few
Herons and Egrets, and eventually found one accessible beach area
where the tide was low enough to see the shorebirds - but as the tide
seems to go out there (North of Cedar Key) for about 30 miles they
were hard to see even with a scope.

Yesterday here at my old home on the Stateline I took a count of birds
at the old feeders my son keeps stocked.  Plenty of Juncos, both
Nuthatches, Downy, Red-bellied, and Hairy Woodpeckers, Goldfinches,
Chickadees, A. Tree Sparrows, M.Doves, House Finches, and the
highlight was a Northern Shrike which did not manage to find a meal
but sure scared the bunch away!  I asked my family if the Cooper's and
Sharpies had ever been observed by them - they used to be regular
visitors, specially in the winter with the snow all around but not
being avid birders they had not seen them, though they have lived here
several years now!  No Pine Siskins or Redpolls or Crossbills, though
I questioned my son about spotting the latter in the Spruces full of
cones.  At least he keeps the feeders stocked!

I have read all the posts while away and the articles that Noel and
Mr. Mueller post.  On our return I made sure to look out for the
lighting on the many towers and wind generators we passed - especially
the last day as we drove 500 miles and some of it was after dark.  I
hoped for white strobed lights, but found the opposite.  Past Decatur
on N. 39 there were many wind generators in an area but all red-lit.
Most of the cell towers were as well.  Maybe we need to do more
campaigning to get these things changed!

Hilary Ford, Ellison Bay Door, now in Walworth CO.