[wisb] In-Field Documentation of Birds

  • From: Jerry <jerry937975@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2013 16:55:48 -0500 (EST)

Having just spent some time reviewing the summer records I have to give a
thumbs up to Jym Mooney for one of his documentations. Though he was not able
to photograph the bird he was enjoying he realized that his camera could also
record the sound. So he simply turned on his DSLR and pointed it at the calling
bird and got an awesome recording of it. That is something I would not have
thought of (ok, maybe everybody else would have) but is a very wise use of the
tools at hand to document a bird that is being vocal.

So thought I'd throw that out there as spring is on its way. Maybe the bird is
too high, too concealed, etc. to photograph, but you can always document its
call with the use of your camera video recording option.

Great idea and great job Jym!

Jerry DeBoer
Racine County