[wisb] UW-Madison Picnic Point, yes Screech-Owl, no Barrow's Goldeneye

  • From: Eric Wood <vesper.sparrow@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WISBIRD <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 17:57:29 -0600

I took a quick spin at Picnic Point this evening from 3:50pm to about 4:35pm or
so.

Highlights:

The Gray Eastern Screech-Owl that Adrian Lesak reported a few days ago was
present in the Wood Duck box just before dusk. If you are going to try for this
bird, I would advise going at dusk (I checked on the 1st at 3:00pm without any
success - though a friend had it that same day around 4:00pm), and I would
advise not trouncing right up to the nest box. The owl is fully aware of our
presence even though it's eyes may appear closed. I know because I did walk
straight in within 10 meters of the box and the owl gave me a "come on, man"
glimpse. So, give it a little room for R and R and try from the main trail (not
the swamp trail). More specifically, head down from the parking lot to the tip
of picnic point along the main trail, go past the frozen swamp on your left,
and before you hit the bathrooms (again off to your left) keep your eye out for
the Wood Duck box off to your left. There is a well trodden trail in the snow
in this area most likely made by other birders that'll give you a view straight
toward the nest box. You'll be 25 meters away but that is plenty close enough
if the owl is in the box.

Waterfowl: Not much. The lake is quickly freezing up at the tip of Picnic
Point. There were four American Coots and one young Ruddy Duck who should
really be thinking about heading south soon. No Barrow's today - though I did
see the female on January 1st that Aaron Stutz originally reported.

Other birds:

American Robin - 5
Brown Creeper - 1
Slate-colored Junco - 1