[wisb] Mud Lake waterfowl (McFarland - Dane Co.)

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2010 16:44:11 -0600

I took a spin south of Madison to check the Yahara River and Lower Mud Lake for
waterfowl.  Nothing at Babcock Park along Hwy 51 except Mallards, Coots and the
usual flock of feral domestic geese looking for a handout.  There were a few
divers on the river east of the bridge - mostly Common Mergs and a few C.
Goldeneye (all of which I checked very carefully. Did anyone get out to Picnic
Pt. today?)

There were quite a few swans on Lower Mud Lake.  One Mute was feeding actively
in the open water at the mouth of the river at the end of Highland St., and a
dozen or so were sleeping on the ice with their heads tucked under their wings,
so I'm not sure which species.  There are also quite a few swans in the open
water near the far shore - distance and heat waves made ID nearly impossible,
but the few that were active looked like Mutes.  Hey Andy - have you seen any
Tundras down there yet this winter?

Last new "year" birds I got were a pair of Hooded Mergs just north of the
bridge over the Yahara on Broadway.  Not much else there but Mallards.  Lake
Farm Park was extremely quiet.  I had one Brown Creeper and a flyover flock of
Canadas, and that was it.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.