[wisb] Re: Today's morning migrants & photos. Unidentified gull photos too! (Ashland, WI)

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 18:25:08 -0600

Erik, this Kumlien's/Iceland Gull (same species) is an exceptional record for
Ashland.  Unlike Duluth-Superior area and bigger waters elsewhere along the
Lake Superior shore, lower Chequamegon Bay and the Ashland lakefront are very
poor for the larger gulls such as Glaucous, Iceland, Thayer's, and
Black-backeds.  In fact, your Kumlien's/Iceland is the first recorded here in
at least several decades, despite good birder coverage during that time.  Let's
hope it sticks, it would make a nice Ashland County bird for some of us!

On the other hand, the lower bay near Ashland is excellent for the small gulls
such as Bonaparte's, Franklin's, Little, Black-legged Kittiwake, and
Wisconsin's only Ross's.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady