[wisb] Today's morning migrants & photos. Unidentified gull photos too! (Ashland, WI)

  • From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 16:47:41 -0500

I birdwatched throughout the shoreline of Ashland today, first visiting Long
Bridge on the western outskirts of town, then hanging out at Maslowski
Beach, ending at Prentice Park. I got to see a courtship display between
several Blue-winged Teals and several Northern Shovelers, which I have never
seen before. Both species bob their heads up and down, and it was especially
fun to see the large-billed shovelers show this behavior!  I'm really
excited to be back up in the beautiful habitat of Ashland.
Here is my total list from this morning, bold ones are new for me this year:
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Northern Shoveler (most common duck this morning, at least 40)
Blue-winged Teal
Green-winged Teal
Redhead
Ring-necked Duck
Lesser Scaup
Bufflehead
Red-breasted Merganser
Sharp-shinned Hawks - 2
Bald Eagle - 1
Broad-winged Hawk - 6
Turkey Vulture - 1
Killdeer
GREATER YELLOWLEGS - 6
LESSER YELLOWLEGS - 1
Ring-billed Gull
Iceland or Kumlien's Gull (pictures below)...
FORSTER'S TERN ~5
Mourning Dove
Northern Flicker
Eastern Phoebe
American Crow
Tree Swallow
BARN SWALLOW
White-breasted Nuthatch
American Robin
Song Sparrow
Swamp Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Rusty Blackbird or Brewer's Blackbird (small flock moving through)
Common Grackle
Red-winged Blackbird

Song Sparrow:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/134328441

Adult Broad-winged Hawk migrating overhead:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/134328434

Mixed flock of Grackle(s) and Rusty/Brewer's Blackbirds:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/134328435

Lesser Scaup:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/134328436

Ring-billed Gulls:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/134328437
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/134328438

Forster's Tern:
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/134329052

Confusing gull from this morning. The overall paleness led to to Iceland or
"Kumlien's." This gull has the cleanly-barred tertials of an Iceland Gull,
but other than that and the overall paleness, I'm stumped by the ID of this
bird. I am new to springtime arctic gull ID. Any comments/feedback are
appreciated :-)
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/134328442
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/134328443
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/134328445