[wisb] Re: Thousands of birds leave rookeries

  • From: Betsy Abert <betsyacorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: drrkuech55@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2015 10:14:38 -0500

Thanks for sharing this, Dennis. I picked up on the suggestion of overhead
flights being a causative agent given my own experience here. As some may
recall, my neighborhood hosted a predictable colony of Eurasian Collared
Doves for a number of years, with them reaching over a dozen at their high
point. In one day, six of the eight left en masse after a water main break
that happened to take place near their daily loafing spot. A news
helicopter flew over the neighborhood for many hours documenting this. A
couple days later, I located two ECDO fledglings together, one of whom was
taken by a Cooper's shortly thereafter. The other survived alone on a
nearby block until at least last year, loyal to its birthplace even after
sustaining a pretty gruesome mystery injury. (As a non-native species, I
know I shouldn't have been moved by this, but its solitary call was a sad
one over the years.) Emotive stuff aside, my point is that choppers offer
a pretty strong vibratory sound that might be underestimated in the
disappearance of this island colony's exploration.
Betsy Abert, South Milwaukee
On Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 11:17 AM, <drrkuech55@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi all:

An articled on Time Warner this AM