[wisb] Pine warblin' in South Milwaukee

  • From: Betsy Abert <betsyacorn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Jul 2015 21:44:36 -0500

While visiting a friend today, our backyard conversation was interrupted by
the trillin' sound of a Pine warbler who alit in a maple just adjacent to
the large white pine in the yard to sing up a storm. Of course I didn't
have my bins, though we could see a moderately colored warbler who I
thought might be a kid celebrating his/her new vocal gifts. I was kicking
myself for not having made the connection earlier with the presence of the
Pine in the yard and the possibility that a nest could have been there all
along. This is across the street from Grant Park where nesting has been
documented increasingly in the last few years. A nice moment for the
friend who is new to birds: when we double checked the vocals on the
Cornell site, he smiled widely in recognition. It's exciting when folks
realize they have habitat for such special creatures, and certainly
encourages more of the same.
Betsy Abert, South Milwaukee, SE Mke Co.