[wisb] Thistle Sock: Yard WW Crossbill, So. Milwaukee

  • From: betsyacorn@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 15:50:38 -0500 (EST)

On snowy Wednesday, the sock hosted two Hoary Redpolls amidst at least
twenty-five Commons fighting for their spot.  Couldn't see the sock for birds.
Today, I had a four-fer as a female WW Crossbill, Pine Siskin, Common Redpoll
and Goldfinch inhabited the thistle sock out front together.  Actually heard
the Crossbill bump a front porch window, which though covered in window clings,
still seemed confusing to this new bird.  Reminds me that with the influx of
newcomers to the yard who are not acquainted with glass, I need to upgrade the
protections here.  I removed a screen there for photo purposes, and it's
possible that's the window she hit.  She seemed to come around after about five
minutes sitting atop a rail in the sun, though flew off as I went out to check
on her. She was back in a couple minutes feasting for long periods on the sock.

Betsy Abert, in painfully breezy South Milwaukee